TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

vacuum wiper pump, electric replacement...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vacuum wiper pump, electric replacement...
    Posted: May/22/2018 at 2:12pm
so i just got back from a trip to Ely, NV (volunteer courseworker for the Silver State Classic Challenge), drove through a lot of rain, and surprise! my rebuilt wiper vacuum pump crapped out. (it decided feeding oil to the intake was more important than wiping the windshield). i rebuilt it probably 10 years ago, it was working fine until i needed it of course.

i have 12 days til i leave on the Hot Rod Power Tour and i'm sure it will rain. there's no time to get it rebuilt in time, nor time to reengineer an electrical replacement (it's extremely cramped under the instrument panel; on all later AMCs the motor is in the engine compartment, but not in mine).

i'm thinking that this electric vacuum pump, used on some diesel pickups, ought to work:

[URL]https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/a-1+cardone,641509,vacuum+pump,5172[/URL]

(Cardone 64-1509)

it's used in those truck as brake booster source and various controls, so it probably has the capacity as a booster (or standalone pump).

has anyone done this? or know anything about these diesel vacuum pumps?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 6:20pm
How was it feeding oil to the intake? Was oil coming from the booster on the fuel pump? If the wiper motor still works, I would use intake vacuum and a vacuum canister, with a check valve so vacuum is not lost when the throttle is opened. It will not be perfect, but should give you fairly decent wiper action. Vacuum balls are a dime a dozen at junk yards.
Diesels are considered as not making vacuum, so if that pump runs some accessories it should work at least as a booster supplementing intake vacuum. However, from Rock at a low price I would not expect miracles. I was thinking of a pump in the $300 or more range, like this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760152

Edited by 6768rogues - May/22/2018 at 6:27pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 10:00pm
lol, i saw that one. i impatiently bought the Ford diesel pump from rockauto. i'll let you know how it works.

yeah, i didn't examine it closely, just yanked it after it failed the test in the TSM, which is that the pump should run the wipers by itself, without manifold vacuum, at a possibly reduced rate. they don't budge. the motor is good and runs OK off low manifold vacuum (8-10 in hg). and this winter it was working fine, even climbing a hill in wrong gear to drop vacuum to zilch. i specifically tested for that.

i took the hose from pump to mani off, and oil dripped out. aargh. leaky diaphragm.

i'm hoping the smaller (read: cheaper) pump will have the capacity. it can't be too low, since brakes on a big truck are a priority.

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 11:30pm
you might have to put a storage container on the pump to get the vacuum needed for the wipers but sounds like a very good idea let us know how it go's
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 7:17am
It should be fine. Aftermarket vac pumps are pricey, mass produced items not so much. There are enough diesels over the last 10-20 years that the replacement vac pumps for them have got rather cheap. I think you'd have been fine with a "juice can" vac storage container from a 90s Ford truck/Crown Vic, considering your test on manifold vacuum. There is also a good electric replacement that won't take up too much space, since motor is on the far end (installed near a kick panel, probably passenger side in your case). Hot Rod Network article doesn't say much, but look through the photos -- those answer most questions.

Edited by farna - May/23/2018 at 7:21am
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 11:12pm
well the thing turned out to be really tiny, like an aquarium pump. useless. i'm returning it.

i bought this thing https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/63016/10002/-1

it's unlike me to not research the crap out of things before buying but i have one week to the power tour.

this one though looks much larger capacity, but no one lists anything like CFM which is what i need to know. current draw is much higher (that could me a lousy, inefficient pump, ampere draw is nothing to brag about!) and it's intermittent duty (it should probably feed/pull from a juice can).

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 5:22am
Rain X the windshield. Makes a huge difference, I hardly use the wipers in the rain. https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-water-repellents-cleaners/rainx-original-glass-treatment/#.Wwk1JIoh2vE
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 8:57am
Are you no longer using the original Carter fuel/vacuum pump? I have great confidence in them and never had a failure yet.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 9:15am
I don't think I'd sell that tiny vacuum pump short. The one on my 84 Chevette diesel (1.6L Isuzu diesel) was tiny as well, but supplied power brakes as well as all the HVAC stuff and cruise control. It mounted on the back of the alternator, on an extended shaft. You might need a small vac storage ball with it though. That Chevette just had one the size of a softball, just enough to act as a buffer to smooth things out. I doubt there was enough there for more than one good application of the brakes. The bigger one sure won't hurt, and probably won't need a storage buffer.
Frank Swygert
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 8:16pm
I'd say just hook the wiper motor up to manifold vacuum and rainx the crap out of the windshield. The wipers will work fine unless you are on a hill or passing. In those cases you lift your foot every couple of seconds to let them wipe once or twice to get a clear view.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic