TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

VAM prochure from 1975

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VAM prochure from 1975
    Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 9:42pm
wish I could read it LOL great pictures though
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 1:02pm
VAM '75 The line of emotions

'75 Classic AMX - The most unruly and audacious attitude.
The '75 Classic AMX from VAM is very temperamental. Behind that sophisticated and elegant line is hidden the hottest desire to stand out. It's an automobile with a charisma and was created to print a seal of personality to its owner. It's sporty at heart and knows how to respond with power, stability and the great sense of security of being at the lead. Classic AMX, the sensation of being powerful.

'75 Rally - The sensation of being different.
The '75 Rally from VAM is the automobile of those that are enthusiastic about the beauty, the new and the audacious. It's floor-mounted shifter adds that sensation of power and sporty spirit we all have. Wide tires, exciting colors, vigorous design... the '75 with the vigor of youth.

'75 Classic DPL - The emotion of experience
The '75 Classic DPL from VAM never goes out of fashion and its elegance is confirmed year after year. It is the necessary automobile for those that need to be distinguished by good taste. It has the tone of the executive and intimacy of a family. Automatic or manual, living it from the inside is a whole new experience and living it from the outside is a whole satisfaction. '75 Classic DPL, with the sensibility of what's permanent.

'75 Classic Brougham - Under the sign of the action
The '75 Classic Brougham from VAM is the concept of the future turned into an automobile. It is the image that denoted the presence of motivation, it's the exciting touch of the aerodynamic design; it is the vibration of what's powerful and the agitation of the beautiful in a single feeling. An automobile that is a luxury that can be afforded... in the whole extension of the word. Luxury in its dashboard and its seats, in its upholstery and carpeting, in its most intimate detail. '75 Classic Brougham, a demonstration of category.

'75 American ECD - The expression of whats inciting.
The '75 American ECD from VAM (Edición Cantos Dorados, Golden Touches Edition), it's a whole new revelation. It's exciting to see, it's exciting to feel and drive... takes our breath away. For who loves the beautiful, and specially, the original, this model gives it all. Because of its beauty it is not to be confused and because of its character it has all the advantages of a four-door. American ECD... the beauty that inspires admiration.

'75 Gremlin - The enthusiasm of triumph.
The '75 Gremlin from VAM it is still the automobile of controversy, the most discussed profile and the most audacious challenge to the imagination... but everybody wants to adopt it. Because it is free, happy, worry-free, but with a lot of qualities. It's power takes it beyond the rest, it is economical and tireless,and allows itself to be driven with a high amount of class. '75 Gremlin, it generates the most enthusiastic comments.

'75 American Wagon - With a sense of accuracy.
The '75 American Wagon does not lack or is excessive in anything. It is the way you want a station wagon to be, with a unique line of styling, with the comfort of a full size wagon, with the space that never feels small, with the power that knows how to respond to its capacity. All is good in the '75 American wagon... even the price.

'75 American - With affectous temperament.
The '75 American from VAM has a very special place in the affection of the whole family. It is ample, beautiful and comfortable, but it knows how to make itself be loved in the intimacy. Models in two or four doors, automatic or manual. A personal car that's very maneuverable that turns into the most economical family car. American '75... it's everybody's!
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2017 at 12:12am
Thanks for the translation. It's neat to see that the cars were called classics still. And still called the American. Since it was called the American, does the hood emblem still have a hornet on it? Or other? If other, I want one.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 1:43pm
Despite the name difference, the VAM American still had the Hornet emblem on the hood.

There was a difference though on the glove box door. 1970-1974 models had a Rambler emblem while the 1975-1977 models had an American emblems.

The 1975-1977 performance models also had a Rally emblem on their glove box doors.
Mauricio Jordán

2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 11:03am
I would like to see pictures of the emblems. Here in the US, the Rambler name died in 1969, so I don't know what a 1970-1988 "american" emblem or script looks like. US also never had a "ralley" edition, so I would like to see those.

I see that the Gremlin has the Hornet front clip. What hood emblem did they use for the Gremlin?

Since in Mexico the cars were called VAM not AMC, then i would like to see the treatment done to the steering wheel.

The sport wheels are completely different also. I would like to see some good pictures of the wheels, shoot, I'd like a set. I know the production numbers for VAM were much lower so the chances of finding many parts cars just sitting around are limited, but just maybe, I would like some of these "alternative" emblage.

Australia, South America, Spain, Africa,etc,,,, you folks are welcome to chime in too. I know in Australia they were called Rambler to the end. What does a 1973 Rambler emblem look like? 1982?

Did Australia, Mexico, South America get the all wheel drive versions that the U.S. knows as Eagles???, or did it all end in 1983 elsewhere
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 6:22pm

The closest American equivalent to the 1970-1977 VAM American Rally model is the sedan-based 1972 Hornet Rallye X and the hatchback-based 1974-1975 Hornet X Rallye.

Here is a picture of the 1972 Hornet Rallye X:

Ordering a 1972 Hornet sedan with the X package (steering wheel, rims, tires, side stripes) would  open access to the option of an additional sporty/performance package, the Rallye package. It consisted of front disk brakes, heavy duty suspension, quick ratio manual steering, front bucket seats, additional side stripes, floor-mounted shifter (manual trans. only) and tach-o-meter.

Unfortunately, this secondary package that made the Hornet X a more serious performance model did not sell much like the Hornet SC/360 and was discontinued. Yet, a revised version was offered again for 1974 and 1975 in the now-available Hornet hatchback AND also in the Gremlin X of the same years.

The 1974-1975 Hornet X Rallye package, also available after ordering the regular X package, consisted of: tachometer, universal ammeter and oil pressure gauges fixed to the parcel shelf, front sway bar (for inline six engines only, standard with V8), manual front disk brakes, floor-mounted transmission (manual AND also automatic), power steering, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and blacked out dashboard panels and rear tail light panel.

These models offer pretty much what you find in a 1970-1977 VAM American Rally model.

The Rambler marque died in Mexico in 1974, the Hornet was the last model to bear the name. The 1971 Matador was the last model to be named "Rambler Classic" in Mexico.

The first Rambler-less VAM model was the 1968 Javelin (1966 Ambassador and Marlin in the US), followed by the Classic in 1972, the Gremlin being third in 1974.

Here are some pictures of the emblems:

Glove Box Emblem - 1970-1974 Rambler American (Hornet)

Glove Box Emblem - 1975-1977 American Rally (Hornet X Rallye/Hornet Rallye X)

1974-1983 American emblem (1974-1977 Hornet and 1978-1983 Concord)

1974-1976 VAM Gremlins indeed carried Hornet front-clips. As far as I know, they had no hood emblem at least at a factory equipment level. The only model I know for certain had a hood ornament was the 1976 Gremlin X, which was the same as the one used in the American (Hornet).

Here is a picture of a 1974 VAM Gremlin that has a hood emblem, but I am not sure the hood it sports is the factory unit.

As for the steering wheels, they were virtually the same as the AMC versions until 1977. Starting in 1978, some small differences can be found.

Here is a picture of the sports wheels:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/trentman/Forum/DSC04308_zpsq1mbpre9.jpg

VAM used inhouse sports wheels only from 1979 through 1983. In prior years they used their universal five spoke type with trim rings.

The last "Rambler" external emblem was used in 1972. In 1973-1973 Hornet-based VAM Americans the only Rambler emblem was the one in the glove box. The Rambler emblem used 1970-1972 was the AMC-designed rectangular unit with printing-type letters.

The Eagle was not available in Mexico, VAM chose not to introduce it. I have read some surviving Eagle units in Colombia, but nothing more.

Edited by Rambler Mexicano - Jul/09/2017 at 6:34pm
Mauricio Jordán

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic