TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Which was does the pump go?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which was does the pump go?
    Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 1:47pm
I switched my 68 Ambassador from vacuum to electric wipers and I'm looking to replace the original style fuel pump on the 232 with a later model fuel pump like the Carter M6737. I was going to order one when I remembered the old 258 from my Concord wagon sitting in the garage still had its pump on it and it worked fine. I figured, being cheap, I'd just use that pump. Actually, it's because I didn't want to wait to get the pump when I have one now...and I'm cheap. :) When I pulled the pump from the 258, the fuel inlet and outlet were on the top whereas the Ambassador's came out the bottom. My question is, does it matter which way it's installed? Should I reinstall it upright or with the inlet and outlet on the bottom?
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
(2) 71 Hornets (1 SC/360)
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 2:01pm
You can only install it one way. Otherwise the lever won't fit (or will destroy your cam eccentric!)
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
imacarfan2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 6:52pm
Good to know. I'll compare it to the one I take off the 232 to see what's what.
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2018 at 6:18am
That's it! Look at the arm. The pump itself will work mounted either way. Some are up, some are down.

Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 4:24pm
So, an update on this. I pulled the 232's pump today and found the arm in the same direction as the pump I took out of the 258. I installed the 258 pump into the 232 the same way they both came out, but no luck. I'm pretty sure the lever is on the eccentric, but it doesn't pump. I pulled the hose off the fuel filter (inlet side) and nothing came out. I tried taking the pump off and re-installing it just in case, but still nothing. This pump worked in the 258, but I can't get it to work now. Any thoughts? Maybe it's time for a new pump?

Oh, forgot to mention some info. There's no fuel tank in the car, so the fuel hose was put directly into a gas can. I didn't know if it was having trouble sucking the fuel through the lengthy hose from a can, so I put some fuel in a bottle with about a 6" piece of hose to the pump, but still nothing. There's no blockage in the hoses as they're all new. Just wanted to explain so we can take them out of the equation. Thanks!

Edited by imacarfan2 - Sep/14/2018 at 4:30pm
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 6:17pm
Wonder if the cam lobe to the fuel pump is worn?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 6:34pm
Could be. The original pump seems to have stopped working. I swear I remember the fuel filter (plastic see-through) partially filling with fuel, but now, neither of the pumps bring it any fuel. Do fuel pump lobes or eccentrics go bad?

I think I'm going to pick up a new pump tomorrow to see if that's the issue.
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 11:25pm
you can hand operate the pump if you put a mounting ear in a bench vise or something.

it's just a lever-actuated diaphragm, and two rubber disc check valves or something like that. you should be able to blow/suck through them in one direction, and not the other.

i've heard stories of fuel pump cams being worn down, but i'd like to see one myself. i'm dubious you could wear it down to flat, the decline would strand the car before it got to ZERO lift. you could probably stick your finger in and feel it. if it's smooth and shiny-feeling it's very unlikely that.

when you installed it, did it slide right in, and sit flat on the block? if so, it's likely thr wrong pump or somehow installed wrong. or you were completely lucky and the lobe was at it's low point. hmm, i may be skeptic. bump the engine over and try again.

most times the pump won't sit flat on the block because the lever is pressing on the cam lobe, and you have to work the two bolts on a few turns at a time to get the pump mounted.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 10:26am
More than likely the diaphragm in the pump gave up. It's a cheap enough replacement pump since you no longer have vacuum wipers.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 6:36pm
Ok, I think this is my final update. I ordered a new pump yesterday, but wanting to know if the car runs, I went and bought a universal electric pump. Hooked it up to a gas can and with fuel pumping, was able to start the car and let it run. Revved it a few times, too. Sounds like it's running pretty good! As I expected, not getting any fuel was my no-run problem.

I then remembered I hadn't removed the soda bottle gas can that was feeding the mechanical pump. When I went to remove it, I had to take the fuel feed out of the bottle. As I did this, fuel started shooting out of the hard line going to the carb that was now not connected to anything (since I had moved the fuel line to the electric pump inlet and and outlet to carb). I quickly shut down the engine to keep from burning it to the ground. That's when it hit me. I bet the bottom of the suction end of the fuel hose was suctioned to the bottom of the bottle not letting any fuel out! I disconnected the electric pump and hooked up the mechanical pump to the fuel can (not the soda bottle) and the other end to the carb. Viola! It worked! The fuel pump pumps as it should and the car will run on it's own! 

Oh, one last thing. When I went to drain the oil, a LOT of liquid came out and it was thin. So I'm thinking the original fuel pump was pumping the fuel into the engine. Then, with the replacement pump suctioned to the bottom of the soda bottle, I thought I had two bad pumps. Nope, looks like it was a bad original style and a good replacement. 

Thanks for everyone's input! Now to finish the 500 other things needed so I can drive the car!
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic