TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

White Case Gr 24 Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Case Gr 24 Batteries
    Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 3:34pm
It looks like INTERSTATE has just changed the Megatron series from clear/white cases to black..... (not that it was perfect anyway with the raised lettering...)

Has anyone found a (smooth side) battery that will work under the AMARK toppers with a white case?

I am not seeing any on web searches and I need to buy a battery in the next month.

Painting a battery faux clear guard is not a preferred answer right now, but is looking more necessary with each passing day....

ANYONE?
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 3:53pm
Are all the megatron batteries black now? It seems like the last time I bought one the megatron II was still clear. That was all I was ever able to find that was even close unfortunately.
AMO Newsletter Editor
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 8:08pm
Looks that way on the website now. Last I bought 2 years ago was white... With raised letters where you don't want...

Unless there is stock around somewhere...
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 8:20pm
What about the reproduction AMC batteries from Antique Auto Battery. The current models look pretty close to the real thing and the internals are now the better quality AGM type.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 5:48am
George no offence but I'm interested in discussing AMARK topper use only with this thread to work to a common solution for many of us desiring to use the AMARK solution rather than Antique Auto Batteries solution.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 7:50am
Here's an old thread where sidewinder (Chuck) talks about painting the black battery case to look like the original. It's not 100% concours correct, but neither is a battery topper.

This is something I'm looking at since I managed to score one of Amark's  toppers before he stopping producing them, and I need a battery for the Javelin.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 9:27am
No offense taken. I fully understand the desire for a white case when using a battery topper. From the way your initial post was worded it seemed as if you were looking for the most authentic appearing battery that may be available for your SC/Rambler. Short of an original NOS Clear Power, which of course would be the ultimate first choice, a second choice would be one of the AMC Parts Division, over the counter batteries. As you probably know, these were not the same as the Clear Power, as they were offered into the 1970's and for a much as I could tell came from a different or various vendors. I have no idea of who actually made the Clear Powers. These later AMC parts replacements did have the white semi transparent cases but had different colored tops depending on their amp ratings. Also, the AMC logo and other spec info was printed on attached vinyl labels rather than being molded into the battery top.

The last of the white case batteries that I remember seeing were the Interstates with either the green or the gray tops and the Sears Diehards.
How many "real" battery manufacturers are left here in the US ?? There's three that I know of: Johnson Controls, Exide & Deka. Even the Delco's don;t appear to be made by Delco any more. Are there others ?

Edited by george w - Jul/20/2018 at 9:30am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 10:11am
Almost all batteries are now made in other countries. Not sure we have any car battery factories even left in the US!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 11:09am
I know not authentic,
but a gentleman near me cleaned out the case of an old battery (that is not available any more) and wired three matching AGM motorcycle batteries in parallel inside the case. 
It has been running that way for years and he gets points for his "original" battery.
Even glued in little cups so when you unscrew the caps you see water!  More CCA then the original.
The batteries have to be matched sets or they will not play nice together.
And if you do this be careful with the acid!
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Almost all batteries are now made in other countries. Not sure we have any car battery factories even left in the US!
Paul,   East Penn manufacturing in Pa.  I believe they are one of the largest battery manufacturing companies in the U.S.   Lee
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic