TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

window sweep replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: window sweep replacement
    Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 7:31am
HELP: I have a 1959 Rambler Super. I am attempting to install new window sweeps. The outer sweeps have clips, no problem. The inner sweeps have staples. I ordered a set through Peter Stathes . Problem: How do you get the staples to go through the sweeps (felt and metal) and properly line up with the tiny staple holes in the inner door panel. Is there a special tool? I can always measure the distance between the staple holes but the measurements would have to be super accurate to get the staples to line up. Has anyone replaced these with success?
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by apollotaki apollotaki wrote:

HELP: I have a 1959 Rambler Super. I am attempting to install new window sweeps. The outer sweeps have clips, no problem. The inner sweeps have staples. I ordered a set through Peter Stathes . Problem: How do you get the staples to go through the sweeps (felt and metal) and properly line up with the tiny staple holes in the inner door panel. Is there a special tool? I can always measure the distance between the staple holes but the measurements would have to be super accurate to get the staples to line up. Has anyone replaced these with success?

I'd love to know the answer to this as well - I need to replace the fuzzies on my 77 Matador wagon's tailgate, and they are applied in the same way.  Clearly it was a technique that AMC used for decades (and probably other mfgs too) but how to replicate that now is a great big curiosity.  Thanks for asking this question!
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 11:20am
Whenever I had to replace stapled window sweeps in the past I did away with the staples.  You'll never get them to line up.  I either put them on using a weatherstrip adhesive or used small 4-40 sheet metal screws.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Whenever I had to replace stapled window sweeps in the past I did away with the staples.  You'll never get them to line up.  I either put them on using a weatherstrip adhesive or used small 4-40 sheet metal screws.

Ahh!  you are definitely doing what I was thinking - and I'm glad that it worked for you!  On the tailgate, I can see using some type 77 adhesive to hold the sweep in place, and then secure it with the screws.  fortunately on my matador, the outer edges of the sweep were held on with screws from the factory, and there is a recess in the tailgates sheet metal to allow for that. This may have been to stabilize the sweep enough for the worker to fire the staples through the metal. I'll probably have to cut away or dimple some sheet metal in the tailgate to allow for the screws (the sweep applies to a metal trim piece that then overlays onto the inner tailgate sheet metal.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

apollotaki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 3:27pm
Thanks for the reply regarding the window sweep installation. It's great to see that I was not the only one stumped by this mystery. I had a feeling that I would have to screw them in place, thanks for reinforcing that strategy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic