TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wiring '79 fluorescent digital clock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring '79 fluorescent digital clock?
    Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 12:29pm
Hi,

I have a '78 Gremlin and am trying install a VFD dash clock from a '79 Spirit. I haven't been able to find much technical data about this clock, so I'm having trouble figuring out what it's 5 wires tie to. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 12:59pm
5 wires? Hmmm, one would be switched 12v to light the display when ignition is on. One would be a constant 12v for the memory circuit in the clock. One would be a ground. I can't think what the other two would be for. Someone should have a '79 Spirit TSM.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 1:38pm
Does the clock have buttons on the bezel, if not the two extra wires may be to set the time. One being hours and the other minutes. They may need momentary on switches tied to ground to function.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the responses! I'm about to head down to the garage to get back to work. I'll get pictures of the module and pigtail shortly.
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 4:38pm
Okay, got pictures of the cluster with the clock in it and the pigtail from the clock. There is a single push-pull switch to set the hour and minute displayed. My guess is that the wires are probably:

1 - constant memory voltage
2 - cathode
3 - anode
4 - grid
5 - ground (chassis, I'd expect)

Pics should be visible at the URL below.

http://imgur.com/a/srBeJ
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by knobbler knobbler wrote:

Okay, got pictures of the cluster with the clock in it and the pigtail from the clock. There is a single push-pull switch to set the hour and minute displayed. My guess is that the wires are probably:

1 - constant memory voltage
2 - cathode
3 - anode
4 - grid
5 - ground (chassis, I'd expect)

Pics should be visible at the URL below.

http://imgur.com/a/srBeJ

If it is like an old VCR type display, illuminated segments it would be... constant voltage, and ground for clock to keep time. The other three are for display turn on. Ground, day, night... I assume day is just power when accessory is on. Night can be either variable at the instrument switch or just a set dimmed setting, controlled by ground and a resistor.

Just a guess... I am sure someone with a 79 TSM can bring some light on the clock wiring.

Of you dont get an answer soon, try PMing Billd as he may have similar wiring for clock on his SX/4. I think 79 on up used the same clock.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 2:03pm
Thanks for the info, 304-dude. That helped me find these links, which look to match up with my clock module.

The pinout:

3    4     1
6    x     5

1. Lights on
3. Power
4. Acc
5. Lamp
6. Ground

Unless something goes horribly wrong, I think this is all sorted! Thanks all!

http://wiki.amcevolution.com/index.php/Clock_and_Power_Mirrors_Wiring_Schematics
http://wiki.amcevolution.com/index.php/6_Cylinder_Engine_Wiring_Schematic
http://wiki.amcevolution.com/index.php/Component_Schematics
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic