TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wiring diagram for a 68 ambassador.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring diagram for a 68 ambassador.
    Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 1:30am
Hey guys, I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a 68 ambassador. So I can check out the radio and the clock for functionality. Any one got one? Or can point me to where I can find one?
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 6:54am
Get yourself a factory shop manual. It contains full wiring diagrams.
You shouldn't need a wiring diagram to check out the clock and the radio. They both have their own power leads that go directly to the clock and radio terminals of the fuse block. The clock ground is provided by the metal frame of the heater/ac control and the heater/ac control grounds to the instrument cluster with a small copper ground plate that connects the heater control frame to the lower left tab of the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster is grounded through the main connector plug.
The factory radio power lead is brown. The radio has a ground wire, black with a ring lug. It grounds to the lower rail of the dash below the radio using a machine screw and nut through one of the holes in that rail.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 7:37am
There is a 73 TSM on-line here:
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/AMC/1973/Service/index.html
I know it's not a 68, but wiring is similar, and AMC generally used the same wire colors. Should be of some help.
Frank Swygert
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 3:02am
I don't own a 68 ambassador. So buying a tsk for it didn't seem prudent. I've picked up a few parts from one. And I was hoping to try out the functionality so that if I went to pass it on to some one I could tell them weather or not it worked. That's why I was hoping that some of the great gurus of he AMC world could help me out.

On a side note. Thank you farna for that link. That is awesome! It will come in handy on my humpster projects.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic