TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 AMX A/C conversion parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 AMX A/C conversion parts
    Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 2:50pm
       I have a 1969 AMX parts car here that I’m pulling the A/C system out of to put in another 1969 AMX.  The compressor had been cut out years ago so the system has sat open to the elements for years.  I have ordered a new condenser, contacted someone about rebuilding the drier and I have a new TX valve. 

It appears as though an new evaporator can be bought on eBay for $350, have you guys had good luck flushing and  re-using the old ones or should I bit the bullet and order the new one?  Also, my plan is to buy a crimp tool and make new hoses, is that what most guys do?  Thanks, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 3:49pm
Ive crimped my own. Retained most of the original lines. Cut off and replaced the old rotolock fittings from the compressor side with o-ring for the sanden with R134. As far as the EVAP unit, flush it and see if it cleans up. I blew 2 quarts of flush through.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

I have a 1969 AMX parts car here that I’m pulling the A/C system out of to put in another 1969 AMX.  The compressor had been cut out years ago so the system has sat open to the elements for years.  I have ordered a new condenser, contacted someone about rebuilding the drier and I have a new TX valve. 

It appears as though an new evaporator can be bought on eBay for $350, have you guys had good luck flushing and  re-using the old ones or should I bit the bullet and order the new one?  Also, my plan is to buy a crimp tool and make new hoses, is that what most guys do?  Thanks, Andy

I've had good luck the two times I've reused the original evaporator.  That said, it would be a real pain to have to tear the dash apart a second time.  I would replace the expansion valve (they're relatively cheap) and pressure test the evaporator before you put the dash back together.  Be sure to rebuild or replace the drier too.

I had my hoses made by a place in Phoenix that specializes in A/C and hydraulic hoses.  I imagine most cities have shops that specialize in this.  Some NAPA stores make them too.

Edited by CamJam - Apr/30/2023 at 6:17pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2023 at 7:34pm
Thanks guys, I got the hoses handles locally.  If I can source the internals for the dryer I will rebuild it myself.  I perfer to leave the condenser and dryer stock, I don’t want to be drilling and cutting on the car.  I will pressure test the evap some time this week.  

Next issue is the compressor, I want to put in a commonly available sanden in.  I have a factory compressor bracket, but I don’t have the idler pulley mount.  Do guys generally discard that when swapping to the newer compressors?  Also will I need three groove crank and water pump pulleys?  I seem to have a bunch of 3 groove WP pulleys, but no 3 groove/3-bolt crankshaft pulleys.  I don’t have access to look at a factory setup, so I’m not too sure about what I should be looking for.  Thanks, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2023 at 7:59pm
Sanden uses the same single belt shared with the p/s. You only use one groove. Mine is the old York bracket with the sanden adapter and has the idler in place. Many make the bracket.  I acquired it from a Ford vendor.
For mine, i found it easier to get a 1" shorter belt since the sanden pulley was a tad smaller than the york.
9610 belt instead of a 9620.

Edited by Heavy 488 - May/07/2023 at 8:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic