TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX no brake lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX no brake lights
    Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 6:26pm
I have checked voltages per the wiring diagram. Ignition ON and OFF. Turn signals work and flash. Fuses are all good. I have no brake lights.
The working turn signals show that the bulbs and wiring to the rear is OK. The brake switch makes and brakes contact. With the brake switch connector off, I get 12v on the red wire and 0v on the green. When I jumper the red and green wire terminals, the voltage reading goes to 0v but no lights and no fuses blow.
In despiration I have replaced the turn signal switch and flasher. No change.
It seems strange that the 12v on the brake switch connector red goes to 0v when I jumper the red to green simulating the switch closing. This may be a clue.
HELP!!!!!
Thanks,
Norm
Perrybones View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 8:00am
Couple of things Norm (Just a run down, you might have already checked these things)
1. Does the hazard flasher work?
2. fuses are notorious for loosing contact under load especially in these lousy fuse holders
3. The voltage should not go to 0 volts on the other side of the brake switch.
4. Try using a different source of 12vdc to the brake switch.

I believe the fuse block may be the culprit
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic