TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

6-second AMC Javelin wins in Chicago

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 6:40pm
I would like to think it was the driver and the crew of fine mechanics who took a pile of parts and a vision to make them work together to achive one heck of a fast car. AMC + chevy > Chevy + Chevy. Lol.
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2023 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

I agree it’s a good promo for the Frankrambler section of this forum - buy that cheap AMC car and take out that crappy factory V8 and install a real engine, in this case, a blown BBC.

I have to agree with that sentiment. At least it doesn't have an LS in it.....lol.

Buy an engine similar to Alan O'Brien's dragster. Adjust the boost down for the road trip.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - May/31/2023 at 4:53pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Jeff Lee View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2023 at 4:54pm
As I have raced my AMX in Stock Eliminator, more than one friend came back to me in the pits telling me the guys against the fence would say “that car has a BBC in it, I seen it!” 
But before this AMX, I had another '70 AMX that I put a BBM, PG, 9” Ford into it and raced in S/ST. Guess that’s why the ’71 in question here doesn’t bother me! 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2023 at 6:20pm
I am building a Hornet to run in Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock. It must have two four barrel carbs and be normally aspirated. To run with this group they want it to run a 7.90 on a hot day. However most of the  guys run 7.70's because they have 632"-650" power plants and only turn them 7500 RPMS. I finally realized there was no way I could run with them using an Indy block or Visner equipment and make it cost effective.

So my engine with have AMC on the valve covers, but under them is a DRC3 and they are okay with that. They want a car that looks the part and runs faster than Wally Booth ever dreamed his car would go. I am by no means a GM fan, but at a certain point it financially makes sense to go to pro power.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Jeff Lee View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 1:21am
If they allow it, then it’s the right move. 
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 5:50am
Running in the 6’s or even 7’s takes some serious engineering, what were nitro cars running back when our AMC’s were new? You have to build what’s needed to be competitive for whatever class you want to race in. 

I’m happy to run low 11’s with a backyard built AMC 360, but if I wanted to run 8’s, I’d probably be running a LS with a hair dryer or two on it. Given I’ve got the only Gremlin running in my state and the only AMC the frequents the local track on a regular basis, I do feel a bit of an obligation to keep it all AMC for now.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 8:29am
Tom I have a deal for you. A friend has an 80 Monza that has a 13* small block 900 hp + spray. Ready to go! Just put your drce in and be racing next week. 10 grand for a roller perfect NPS car. Saves fooling with an AMC Hornet. 
Then you can be a Frank Iaconio or another famous hero.

Edited by Hurst390 - Jun/01/2023 at 8:38am
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 8:37am
I'm going to run the Monza for him at Coles county soon. Before he pulls the engine. Come on over and check it out.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Tom I have a deal for you. A friend has an 80 Monza 

Monza? No way! I had a 80 Fairmont and a 74 Duster I could have used for the class, but wanted something that there weren't already one or two of running. Olds Cutlass would be my choice if I wanted a GM body, but I don't. I've always loved the RWB AMC paint schemes of Wally Booth & Dave Kanners cars. I could care less about being famous. It's about trying to have something different for several reasons. I'll happily just keep making parts and pieces until I get the Hornet done.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Javelin390 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Javelin390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 2:57pm
Just cool for people to see an AMC out on the track
AMC engine or not 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic