TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Gremlin build in Poland, Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2023 at 3:35pm
Here are some pics of the green creature. It's waiting to be loaded in the container and should be off to Europe shortly. 

Original AC car. 232 auto, floor shift. As the previous owner stated, a "challenging resto" - who knows, it might be an understatement ;) 

Unix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2023 at 3:38pm

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2023 at 7:20pm
I don't think it's going to be too challenging. There is some floor rust through, so there could be more under body rust that you don't know about. Floor pans might be salvageable from the burned car? As long as there isn't rust in critical areas you should be good. Floor rust is usually from inside the car where water got in and soaked the carpet -- or worse in the jute padding under vinyl ("rubber") floors (not just floor mats -- the base model vinyl floors). Carpet can dry out, but once water gets under those vinyl floors it stays a long time!

Everything seems to be there and reasonably straight and solid. Sure, it needs work on everything, but looks like a good start.
Frank Swygert
Unix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2023 at 7:51am
The Green Creature has landed in Krakow, Poland. It's surprisingly in not too bad condition, not rotted to heck. The floors are gone and need sheet metal work on the body panels, but the doors, frame rails, hood, shock towers and leaf spring mounts all in very good condition. The car is also complete, including interior. Even the gas tank looks fine.

Obviously, what i can find new i will buy and replace, and the rest i will have rebuilt / remanufactored.

No info on the 232 engine yet, if it turns over, and the Torqueflite tranny.

So it begins, a new project. I would like to have the car sent of to paint in march next year.

All pics u can find here : 

Edited by Unix - Jul/30/2023 at 8:00am
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2023 at 8:34am
       cool beans. she looks to be in good shape really. 
 im sure most of us have drug much worse than that home.
 god luck with her and im sure ya can find what ya need here.
its the little things that make the biggest difference
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2023 at 9:56am
Looked at your other site. Great start! If you keep the AC ditch that old York compressor! Get a newer model compressor and have new hoses made. It will work with all the other old components. I have a Sanden style compressor in my 63 Classic with the original 63 evaporator and all under dash pieces. Had to have hoses made with flare ends for the original stuff and O-rings for the newer model compressor and drier. I also changed the condensor to a newer model (Chrysler LH) parallel flow. Had to make brackets for it and cut the aluminum ends off. Had a shop solder new ends to connect hoses. Works very well with R-134a.
Frank Swygert
Unix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2023 at 11:07am
Thanks for the info on the AC compressor. 

The front & rear seats were sandblasted and powdercoated. Having them reupholstered.

The engine is toast. Gonna have it rebuilt. Anyone know where i can get the stock specs for the engine & for an over bore? 

Possibly you guys some other options where to find quality parts for reasonable price?

Was thinking of this kit...

Pics available over on the c-body forum 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2023 at 7:36am
There is a 70 and 73 TSM on this site: https://www.ramblerlore.com/index-amc.html. They will have all the engine info you need.

The 4.0L idea someone mentioned over in the other forum isn't a bad idea -- but they probably didn't read enough to realize you're in Poland. The rebuild kit you mentioned seems to be as good as any. Of course you'll be measuring bore and getting crank turned before ordering...

If you wanted to re-power there are probably any number of Euro cars with rear drive you could use. Due to all the costs involved you might want to consider that. At least one guy in the Frankenrambler section has installed a Lexus (Toyota) straight six in a Rambler. A fellow in Finland has a Volvo four from a 240 in his. I think you would be forgiven much easier due to location than stateside people doing the same thing...  I'm putting a 2006 Ford Ranger 2.3L Duratec in my 61 convertible.

Edited by farna - Sep/24/2023 at 7:43am
Frank Swygert
Unix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2024 at 12:48pm
Been a while, but there is progress. The car was sandblasted, and just recently rolled into the body shop. Custom fabing the inner rockers. The outer rocker panels, and all floors I bought off ebay. 

Just made a big order from rockauto, complete engine rebuild kit and all other bits for the engine like ignition, charging, cooling etc. 

I could not find a water pump on rockauto, but found something on JEGS. Will this work?

Or could i go with the cheaper one, Derale ?? It only says that it fits a 258, where i have a 232. Was wondering if there is a different water pump for those? Please advise. 

Another question, where can i source new HEAD BOLTS?? Couldn't find any on rockauto for the 232.

Here is the link with pics and updates on my Gremmie :

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2024 at 10:54pm
hi, try www.headbolts.com. ;  good luck.   btw, I'm from CZ!
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic