TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC bellhousing / Clutch fork

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScramblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC bellhousing / Clutch fork
    Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 4:28pm
I'm building a Jeep Scrambler and converting from manual clutch linkage to hydraulic. I've swapped in the correct pedals and clutch master. My trouble is the slave cylinder.

I have done similar work over the years only I have started with 4-cylinder Jeeps (that are factory with hydraulic clutches) and swapped in 6-cylinders. In the past I've used AMC Eagle bellhousing and clutch parts including the slave cylinder. These were really easy because everything bolted right up. 

While getting ready to convert the Scrambler, I assumed that I already had the correct bellhousing, thinking that the threaded holes for the bell crank would work for the slave cylinder...Wrong! When I bolted the slave up, the push rod would hang at an angle to reach the throw-out fork.
I've done a bunch of internet searches and I can't find anything that says that there are different bellhousings or clutch forks for this application. 
It appears that AMC used the same bellhousing and clutch fork for many years behind many different engines. Also, the same parts on manual vs hydraulic clutches.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 4:53pm
Cant say on the Jeep, but eagles have a different fork for 4 and 6 cylinder. One has a curve at the pushrod side and the other is straight.
ScramblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScramblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Cant say on the Jeep, but eagles have a different fork for 4 and 6 cylinder. One has a curve at the pushrod side and the other is straight.

Ok, this is good to know. Do you know if one is manual, and one is hydraulic? 

Also, was the 4 cylinder that was used in the Eagle an AMC or GM?
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 10:47pm
The eagles were hydraulic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic