TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Restoration facts, question and answer. > Part Numbers, AMC Parts ID and cross-references
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Canadian Made ID Info Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canadian Made ID Info Help
    Posted: Oct/26/2021 at 9:22am
Looking to see if anyone has info on Cars manufactured in Canada.
I have a 1966 Rogue Brampton built.
It has an unusal headliner that I have not seen.Basket weave material with gold fleck through it.
The car also has a vinyl top.

Any help is appreciated .Thanks

First tag is on the top of rad saddle .Is this only for Canadian Cars and any info  what they mean?

050429H--?
604578A--Body type from Body number plate . suffix A?
09-7 199 3-7 B --Motor/Engine info   09-7?  199 cu in   3-7?  B  -10undersize main bearings?
P03--Paint ?
TR41D--?
VT--Vinyl Top?

Question about body Plate tag.
This car has a 1 in front of the model and trim numbers? unique to Canada production?
AND missing the car built sequence numbers between bottom rivets?

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2021 at 1:12pm
Ok, as you noted Canadian built AMCs are little different then the US built AMCs. A lot of the Canadian AMCs went to the New England area , were American sold very well. The Canadian AMCs are also generally considered to be a little better built then the US made AMCs. There were  a little bit of different material used in the Canadian AMC built cars, as many parts were sourced locally in Canada. The Canadian AMC factories basically built the higher volume models, no Javelins or AMXs were  made in Canada and few Ambassadors , some Classics, not Matador coupes , and none of the latter Matador cars. Largely volume models, Americans and Classics , primarily. 

VIN number starting points, and this some thing a lot of people do not know : VAM - Mexican AMC Vin number start 10001 , VAM Mexico could build approximately 99,000 cars maximum ; Kenosha built cars Vin starting point 100001, Kenosha could built 500,000 cars per year maximum , The Canadian AMC factory (Brampton) VIN usually start at 600001 , and Brampton could at maximum built 120,000 cars . Ok, does that make a bit of sense to every one.

So, your Vin should be : the 604578A , see if I'm right. The A is for the 199 six cylinder engine. This on the radiator tag . Those are unique to Canadian built AMCs but similar to the Mopar build tags, but sadly no where near as informative.  The 09-7 is the model number 0 is for 01 series, Rambler American, 9 is for two door hardtop, and the -7 is for Rogue , top of the line model in this case. and all that carries over to the door tag. Ok, I'm assuming here from what research I've done but the 199 is for the 199 six engine,  The 3 is for Antigua Red , the -7 was some times used for Black and here I believe along with B and the VT stands for Black vinyl roof. The X-X was used to note two toning on AMCs in general.  The T(R)41D is Black Bucket seat interior, vinyl and cloth. The R should really be a "6" for 1966 model year, not sure if some made a mistake or if it just a Canadian thing.

I'm guessing here but I'm assuming the 050429 H is the body number , H being for hardtop. The PO  maybe posi -traction I'm thinking , not sure about the  3 .  Or maybe I have the serial and body number switched . I should be one or the other off the door tag.

Not sure about the T in front of the body number , but the old AMC factory was in Toronto and they used a T in there Vin, serial numbers back in the day. They added a "1" in front of the model and trim numbers that US cars do not have , so here again I'm assuming Canadian.  Model is straight fore ward 66 for 1966, O for 01 series American , 9 for 2 door hardtop and -7 for Rogue. And also here again 3 is for the primarily paint color Antigua Red.  So, let me know if I'm not too far off  on my brake down. Oh, last thing Brampton had only one assembly line so no sequential assembly line number was needed. LRDaum
LRDaum
typhoon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2021 at 1:08pm
Wow,
Thanks very much for the information!

The VIN is A6BA97A104677 . I have a book (cars&parts )that decodes this and it is all correct. what it comes back as is:AMC,1966,Brampton,Automatic column,2door hardtop,rogue,199 1-bc,,last 6 production number.
Non posi diff.
050429H  would be the only undecipherable number in the bunch at this point.

Regards

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2021 at 7:00pm
I'm thinking that the 050429H is the body number. Your Vin is interesting as it is done in the 1967 style. The 1966 style VINs are in the format of : A100001 for a US made 199 American and AK-100001 for a Canadian built car. The 1967 VIN are unique , as for 1968 to 1980 the VINs in the US were mandated by the Federal government to be standardized. The 1968 and up VINS have one more digit then the 1967 Vin your car seems to have, at least in US built cars. LRDaum
LRDaum
MarineRusset View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineRusset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2021 at 10:51pm
I have a ‘65 Classic and a ‘68 Rebel built in Brampton.
I think the 3-7 on your Rad tag is the build date, March 7, 1966.

I think MrAMC is correct on everything else, including the first set of data being the build number.  

My ‘68 Rebel was sold in Canada. I had another Brampton-built ‘68 Rebel that was bound for the US market. There is a “US” on that car’s rad tag.

Was your ‘66 originally sold in Canada or in the US ?
-----------------------
-65 Rambler Classic 660 - 4dr AT
-68 Rebel 770 - 4 dr AT
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2021 at 1:16pm
Thanks MarineRusset, I'm  guessing on a lot of this stuff based on past research. The Canadian cars are just a little different then US casrs. They used more Canadian sourced parts. I'm also thinking Canada may had a similar mandate on VIN numbers to the US only it looking like a year earlier then the US mandate . They wanted all the VINs to be a certain pattern and contain a set of standard information. Before 1966/67 each manufacturer had it own system of VIN numbers , government then started to regulate the numbers to help cut down on cars being stolen . LRDaum
LRDaum
typhoon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2021 at 7:34pm
Car was sold in Canada from a Brampton AMC dealer (H.E.Simpson Motors ) to a Brampton resident. I have the books that came with the car and the owner ID Card!
It was stamped June 7 1966.
The warranty book is also signed by the dealer with the same date.and it has an AMC certificate of inspection signed with the VIN number. 

Colin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 10:09am
I am in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada and I have personally seen this head liner in 3 Americans over the years . 2 were in wagons one in a 2 door hard top. Always said to be a rare option by the seller . 2 cars were 66 the other was a 65
Colin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 10:19am
I have a copy of a 1966 Salesmans Quick-reference guide and there is no mention of optional headliners in the factory installed optional equipment section of the book.   This book is AM 66-5046-1 Litho in USA
Colin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 5:24pm
After a lot of thought it seems to come to mind the headliner in question is called ratan I have put out the word about this but have not herd back yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic