TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Disc Brake Conversion Kits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfab13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Brake Conversion Kits
    Posted: May/29/2023 at 4:18pm
Hello All:

Looking for help in finding Front & Rear Disc Brake Conversion kits for a 1963 Rambler Ambassador 880. The drum brakes just aren't working. Any help would be appreciated.

I know they have the front kit on AMC Acres, but I can't seem to find the rear.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 4:32pm
Personally, I’d just do the fronts - the majority of the braking is on the front end and you will notice an improvement in stoping power over front drums. Also, it avoids the hassle of what to do with the original parking/e-brake and whether or not it will function properly or if you’ll have to cobble something together. And there are still cars made today with front disc/rear drums for the simple reason that it works. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 5:14pm
X2, discs are not required on the rear.
If you like the look of them through the rims you choose, then by all means you can do it. But you will have to get a proportioning valve to dial them back to approximately 20% to 30% of the front brakes.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by metalfab13 metalfab13 wrote:

The drum brakes just aren't working.
Under normal circumstances, they should work just fine. What is wrong with them?
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
metalfab13 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfab13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 7:50pm
I wish I knew; I've changed everything from the power booster, master cylinder all brake drums and shoes and wheel cylinders and i can't seem to get the rear brakes to work properly. It feels like they are always on! I had three mechanic's look at them and they can't figure it out. I just purchased two new front wheel drums from APD and my mechanic says they are not the right drums. APD say they are the right part for the application!! Not sure what to do 
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 8:10pm
On the 1962 classic the brake pedal at the push rod end there is an eccentric there should be  1/2 inch play in the pedal before contacting the master cylinder.
Check the rubber line to the rear brake line, the one from the body.  It could be restricted causing it to 
act like a one way valve.

Nick

Edited by nickleone - May/29/2023 at 8:12pm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2023 at 10:14am
If you look at this list, you see 63 Ambassador is missing:
I looked at my cross reference book and also found the 63 Ambassador missing?
There is a reference to a 9-1/2" x 2" brake drum, but cannot find the part number and don't have a catalogue. This may be a typo???
Do you have your old brake drums to measure?

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 1:28pm
Anyone real familiar with drum brakes should be able to fix them, they aren't that complicated. You can get rear brake kits for the AMC 20 axle. AFAIK the ends used on Jeeps are the same. A rear disc kit for a CJ-7 should fit. Rustic has a 66-83 rear disc kit. Doesn't say if it's for AMC 15 or AMC 20 axle though. I don't recall if the ends are different, may be the same. You'll have to call or e-mail and ask.

There is a parts book located at www.ramblerlore.com, but that will be AMC part numbers. Should be able to cross reference with a search though.
Frank Swygert
metalfab13 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfab13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2023 at 7:42pm
Thanks for your replies. I think we may have it straightened out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic