TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Drill Bits where do you find the best ones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2022 at 3:34pm
LOL dont buy harbor freight drill bits.. ive had 3/8th and under in those buy 30+ packs bent worse then a banana .. i would stick them in the chuck and spin them and go .. WTF did i get in the middle of the chuck.. wiggle wiggle wiggle...and Snap :-)  
1969 sst javelin restomod
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2022 at 4:12pm
Harbor Freight has drills that bend like rubber. I have some from McMaster Carr that are good.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2022 at 4:39pm
I recently bought a set of Triumph drills thru ebay.  $100 for a 1/16-1/2" 29 pc set.  These are HSS black and gold, US made.  We use them at work and I'm happy with the durability.  I also like the shank with 3 flats to help prevent spinning in a keyless chuck.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
worm611 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worm611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2022 at 3:07pm
I bought a cheap set years ago, more so for the index than the bits themselves, and have replace them with McMaster Carr as I need.  Always bits you use more often than others, and nice to have a few spare around as well.

I might suggest a set of jobber bits and normal length as well, majority of the time I use the short jobbers more than the longer ones, will have more control so less walking, and they seem to last longer.
fastjeep View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 8:57pm
I use a set from MAC Tools and are best I found so far. Just used them today to drill 2 9/16 holes in a Pete frame. The trick is not to spin them too fast, let the drill cut the metal and not over heat them. Seen lots of guys spin too fast and burn the edge off bit then they burn up. One nice thing about MACs bits are warranty covered.
SixunoSix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixunoSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 10:58pm
The best drill bits I have used were snap-on, which for the price they better be good, and wurth. The wurth bits I got a great deal on from a dealer they were HSS and we're amazing. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 4:09am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 5:42pm
I have a standup drill press, it came with a chart that shows what drill speed is best for different materials. Seems to work great and even cheap bits last when you use the correct speed and lube.

Ron.

Edited by amxron - Nov/30/2022 at 5:03pm
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2022 at 9:29am
McMaster-Carr

dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2022 at 12:10pm
Like most said McMaster is great, you may have a Fastenal location near you that also sells good made in USA bits. Any you buy from HD, Lowes etc is pure garbage unless you are drilling wood. And just like spark plugs...don't buy into the silly gimmicks out there. Quality HSS bit is all you need
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic