TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68-70 AMX & Jav Window Stabilizer Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2021 at 2:20pm
Timing is not right to volunteer as a Beta tester, but I'm interested when the product is released.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2021 at 4:42pm
OK, I think I understand how to install the stabilizer kit,

I just am not sure how to remove the front door seal.. Especially the little plastic fasteners that hold

the outside of the seal in place, or how is it held to the door toward the inside. I don't want to damage that seal as I do not remember repops available.

Any advise on getting the little buttons out without breaking them?

Thanks
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2021 at 7:15am
Sorry I didn't see this post until now - the forum notifications don't seem to be as reliable as they used to be.

On my car the weather strip comes up the front of the door and ends in a larger flat "cap" section. That section is held to the door with three or four push in fasteners that have heads like thumbtacks but expanded springy sections under the head.

Here's a pic of the fasteners, courtesy of Amark AMC parts:

So you can pry these up by the head and pull them out, then you should be able to peel back the rubber "cap" end of the weatherstrip. If it's been glued down you may need to go after it with a putty knife or similar to break the glue loose.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2021 at 7:19am
Here's that weatherstrip "cap" section I was talking about at the front of the door:

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 12:52pm
Did you try McMaster-Carr for the wave washers ? It's very possible the slightly thicker ones may work as the ones AMC used seemed to have relaxed rather quickly and were ineffective. Roller wear may not be an issue as long as the tracks are cleaned carefully of the old grease and dirt and then lightly lubed.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2021 at 2:13pm
Yes, I searched many, many sources, including McMaster Carr, Grainger, Fasternal, MSC Direct, Century Spring, Associated Spring Raymond, M.D Hubbard, Lee Spring, and about 10 others.

I found that McMaster Carr, Grainger, and Fastenal all purchase their wave washers from Associated Spring Raymond, and they had a spring close to what we need so I ordered some of those in. Measured side by side, they work out to about 2 times the force of the original springs though.

What I found when I first made the rollers was that the slop in the roller/channel setup actually comes from the stock rollers being too small. It wouldn't matter how strong the springs are, as the roller design prevents them from spreading beyond about 0.060". At full expansion the stock rollers didn't reach the track on both sides, so that's the fundamental problem. I'm not sure if the originals shrank over time, or if they were always too small. But that's why I made my new ones each 0.014" thicker, so they would always contact the tracks.

Now that I have the drivers side window assembled, I can see that the spring between the rollers only compresses when the window is pulled in toward the car, so a stiffer spring wouldn't prevent outward movement of the window when it's rolled up. It would help when it's part way up though, definitely.

But I do worry about additional wear. As you mentioned, complete cleaning of the track would help prevent that. I found that mineral spririts works amazing to clean the tracks of old grease and dirt.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 6:29pm
Ok, has anyone had a chance to install one of these kits yet (other than me)?

Interested in any feedback you might have - thanks!
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 7:17pm
I am hoping to install the kit tomorrow.  I want to try to get in in before I leave on a 2.5 week vacation.  Looks well made and the instruction with pictures are great.
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 8:54am
Good Morning All,

I had the oppertunity to install one of Chris's (AKA Greyhound AMX) stabilizer kits in my 70 Javelin.   This was a much easier task for me because the car is still being assembled and it does not have weather seals or interior door panels installed yet.  It was easy to install and follow the provided instructions.  The kit significantly reduced the play in the window.   Comparing it to the non retrofitted side you can really see the improvement.   I have asked Chris to put me on the list for 3 more kits.   Thank You Chris for taking the time to engineer and produce this product.  - JJ   
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 4:25pm
Finally, after 50 years, a real fix for the rattly windows !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic