TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

15" AMC 8 slot wheel option

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" AMC 8 slot wheel option
    Posted: Jul/07/2022 at 7:00pm
Hi All,  

I've shared this a few times on the Forum, but I've read a few requests looking for a reasonable alternative to the factory 8 slot wheels.... thought I'd share what I did as a possible option. 

I couldn't bring myself to purchase a set of original 15" 8 slot wheels when I saw asking prices that I personally felt were extremely high (IMO) for used, rusty, dirty and banged up wheels 

So I looked around for an alternative and found a wheel at "Wheel Vintiques" that fit the basic need.  It's called a "20 series solid/primer wheel"  It is available in 15" diameter x 5", 6", 7", 8" 10", 12, & 14" widths.  It is a multi pattern/solid face wheel...so what I did was have a a set of masking decals created at a print shop that were exactly the same size as the "slots" in an AMC rally wheel.  I painted the (already primed) wheel, matte black.  Next I placed the decals on the wheel in the same positions as a factory wheel.  I also masked the center of the wheel right up to the edge of the "bowl".  Then sprayed Argent Silver paint over the surface of the entire wheel.  Then finally removed the masking tape and decals and sprayed a clear satin coat over the entire wheel.  

The matte black areas give the "illusion" of being holes in the wheel.  Add some new trim rings from e-bay and some original volcano caps and you have a complete set of NEW wheels for around $525.00-$575.00  Mine are 15" x 7" and sold for $113.00 each + $79.00 for (4) stainless trim rings and $40.00 for a set of used volcanos

You really have to get up close to tell them apart from a real 8 slot. Another real advantage is you can get a 10" wheel (or wider) for the rear, that you can make look like a factory 8 slot.  They only thing I wish I had found, was a set of trim rings that were just a little bit deeper.

To all the purists...yes I realize its NOT the factory wheel.Wacko... but for you guys and gals that like the look of the 8 slots, but cant find them or you don't want to spend a ton of money for a set of used, rusty, crusty, banged up wheels.. its a reasonably priced alternative..

Cheers my friends!

Pictures below and link to Wheel Vintiques 

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/all-wheels/solid-bare-finish.html

Edited by DMack - Jul/08/2022 at 11:44am
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2022 at 7:08pm
Very nice, look great on your car. 
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2022 at 7:46pm
Looks really nice. I remember telling you that the other day when I commented on your grill rework. Nice car!
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2022 at 8:01pm
I had to look a couple of times to tell those are not slots in your wheels. So what is a too high price for original 15 x 7 wheels. I have a set in my attic. Not perfect but not beat up just could use a new coat of paint. Just curious not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2022 at 8:04pm
Way cool! Nice work.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2022 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by garweb3 garweb3 wrote:

I had to look a couple of times to tell those are not slots in your wheels. So what is a too high price for original 15 x 7 wheels. I have a set in my attic. Not perfect but not beat up just could use a new coat of paint. Just curious not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.

I have seen them sell for as low as $200 and as high as $800.  I guess it just depends on what an individual is willing to pay 🤷‍♂️
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2022 at 11:33pm
Those are sweet.  Working on my 73 Javelin.  Thanks to you I think I will copycat that set.  Thanks much!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2022 at 11:47am
One thing I forgot to mention...

The wheel comes with four small dimples that are there to hold on a smoothie hub cap (if you so desire).  I removed these with a die grinder and then smoothed them out with a sanding disc.  Pic below.

Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2022 at 12:30pm
Great idea and great looking car, love that blue.

I bought a basic chrome wheel from summit for my spare tire, when it came I was thinking of getting two more for some Mickey Thompson’s. Now I’m thinking I’ll do two like this so they still match the fronts but have a 10” rim and traction tires.
klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2022 at 5:54pm
Very impressive!!!  Well done!

On a side note.....the cost of 15" wheels.    I follow this topic, and sold a set last year.  I've owned about 5 sets over my 30+ years and sold one set to a friend, for "cheap" about 7 years back...$300, and they were very nice.  He sold them shortly after, and made a tidy profit....I wasn't impressed.

The ones I sold last year......a member was looking for a set, I said I had one, with a few fair trim rings and several good center caps.  HE OFFERED up $1000, site unseen, for my wheels.  I was surprised....I got them out of storage, washed and photographed, and confirmed the deal.  Last I heard, he was ecstatic.  Not bent, not rusty, but obviously not perfect either.  I believe that sometimes, the market sets itself.  If you have a nearly finished/restored really nice 71-4 car and "all you're missing..." is a set of wheels (grille, tach, spoiler, shifter, etc) I just cannot fully comprehend trying to save $200, $400, or $600, when you're "that close to done." 

I don't know.....I started typing this, just to give some info for "going prices".....at least what I know of.....not trying to start a war.

klvn8r
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic