TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

196 Running Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramb1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 196 Running Rich
    Posted: Feb/05/2023 at 9:37pm

I recently purchased a 1963 AMC rambler with a 196 l6 engine. The carburetor on the car is a Carter 1520. The problem that I am having is that the car is running rich. You can see the black smoke out of the exhaust. Also when changing the oil there was gas in the oil.

What I have done

• I have changed the spark plugs. The old ones were black
  • I did a compression test on the cylinders. 5 of the cylinders got up to 130-140 and held. The last cylinder only made it to 120 and held. 

Are there any adjustments on the carb or engine that I can make to help the car from running so rich? Thank you in advance. 

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2023 at 5:19am
There could be so many things on that old of carburetor that could be wrong, from stuck butterfly valves, bad float, poor adjustment, dirt, seized parts or damaged parts.
You should get the TSM for the vehicle.
Would also suggest getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the carburetor - the only way of finding out what's really wrong with it and likely by now more then one thing.
If not your comfort level to rebuild the carburetor, replace it as they are still readily available. The carburetor should come with basic adjustment procedures but the TSM will have procedures specific to the car.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic