TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Fender troughs being installed....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Fender troughs being installed....
    Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 6:59pm
Have the drivers side trial fitting complete. These troughs were in MINT condition when I bought them, no rust ever..new seals and undercoated like the factory. I will have to grind off a lot of the primer on the engine bay side to eliminate fumes when mig welding these+ some undercoating at both ends, but they fit great and will be super solid when welded.

In this pic you can see where I have started to cut out the same hole that the factory used to spot weld the trough "indentation" to the spring tower.

I just have to hit the flange of the original trough still on the car with my angle grinder to remove the old brazing that held on the sheetmetal fabbed piece that was under there since the 80's. I did it to the passenger side already and the metal came out nice and shiny ready for a weld.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 7:14pm
I was doing the same type of work today on this '68 Javelin. This one is just positioned but not attached yet. First I had to patch the cowl and radiator extension panel so I would have something to attach the ends to!

It looks like you are using a '71-74 trough which was not welded to the spring tower at the middle. Putting newer troughs on a '68 is a bit more difficult because the originals were wider at the rear. Wacko
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 8:23pm
^^^Looks like a good fit.

I'm welding to the original 68 flange such that the weld line will be as close to the top of the OE trough flange as possible. ... I got "lucky" on the radiator support end and the firewall end because there were already patches there from when the car was repainted and the patches were small and shiny after sanding.

The contact points of the trough and body are all prepped. Clamps hold them in tight up against the original trough flange with no gaps between the contact points for a solid weld to join the 2 sections, they match the line of the original flange nicely even the "step up" on the top of the flange lines right up. Beginners luck I guess.

Yes the new troughs were from a 71-74 javelin. The indentation rests right up against the spring tower behind it when test fit. The 68 style spot weld cut out I am duplicating should work nice. I even traced out the size of the original hole in the original trough still on the passenger side and transfered it to the new trough and then traced out the cut with a dremel.

I think I know what you mean by width difference at the rear/cowl because when I fit them in there was a slight gap at the rear section along the top between the original flange and the new one, but the way I cut the flange off the new ones didnt cause any clearance issue with the flange line when clamped.

So far the hardest part of this job was cutting out the 2 sided brazed sheetmetal sections that were in there from the 80's redo. Not sure why they didnt just weld in another set of orignal troughs? I guess even in the early 80's they were hard to come by?

Edited by 348AMX - Sep/05/2014 at 8:48pm
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 12:00pm
All finished, except for some grinding, POR15 paint, and rubber seals. It's amazing how solid everything feels once these are replaced!

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 12:20pm
^^^Nice! Rust free and no doubt as strong as new. I bet my car had a lot of flexing going on with the sheetmetal fabbed troughs that were there, so I am anticipating a difference in handeling in the front end with correct troughs installed.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 12:34pm
Here's what I started with.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 12:57pm
Ohio AMX, The before and after pictures let the viewer know how awesome your repair work is!
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Ohio AMX, The before and after pictures let the viewer know how awesome your repair work is!

Absolutely! His resto projects have inspired me to repair my car properly as well as many others.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 9:44pm
Thanks guys! Just trying to save every one I can.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2014 at 6:45pm
Here is a picture of me working on the pass side trough that will get welded on soon. The dremel allows for a very precise cut following the traced dashed line, easy to see and follow it and the cut off wheel works relatively fast to cut through the metal.

These troughs were extremely nice, not even pitted and they are going to a good home now so I dont feel bad about cutting the flange off even though it is rare to find these completely done up and preserved so well, it is exactly what my AMX needed.

Edited by 348AMX - Sep/11/2014 at 8:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic