TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rarity of the Flash-matic transmissions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdcoxrambler64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rarity of the Flash-matic transmissions
    Posted: Oct/04/2015 at 2:43pm
How rare is a good working 3 speed flash-o-matic transmission from a 1963 or 1964 inline 6 Rambler? Is there a place out there that houses them or would have an interest in a few more good transmissions? I have sold my 1964 Rambler 440 and had picked up a few extra parts in the past years.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2015 at 5:24pm
They aren't particularly rare. It is, however, a 50+ year old transmission. One in good working condition is usually in a car that has been taken care of. Once out or parked they deteriorate fast -- any auto trans will. They need warm circulating oil to keep the seals from drying out. It's hard to get someone to work on them any more, but not impossible. 
Frank Swygert
pdcoxrambler64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdcoxrambler64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2015 at 7:26am
thanks.  Is there a correct way to store these transmissions?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2015 at 10:24am
Not really. I've seen them stored in HD contractor clean-up trash bags -- the thick ones. As long as they are in a dry area you should be fine. I'd consider any trans that has been out of a car for a long time a rebuilder core anyway. It would at least need a seal kit installed and the valve body cleaned. 
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2015 at 11:28am
It'll take a while, but I sold two out of three that I had.
one went to Utah, one went to California.

They're not super rare, but one out of the car and ready to either try as-is or rebuild is tempting when you can't find a local who wants to touch one. heck, I even sold the 3rd converter! Do not ditch converters. The starter ring is welded on them and most find it a PIA to get the correct ring and get it welded onto the converter.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdcoxrambler64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2015 at 9:32am
thanks for the information on the converter, did not know that.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdcoxrambler64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 8:50am
Will this transmission from the inline 6 work on a v8 rambler engine?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2016 at 6:54am
While technically it should work, bolting up may be a problem. You'd have to compare the bolt pattern where the trans bolts to the bell first. If those are the same you can bolt the six trans to a V-8 bell (pre 72 six trannys use a different bell than the V-8, 1972 and later six and V-8 bell bolt patterns are the same, but different depths). Then you'd need to compare the depth of the bells. If the depth is the same check the torque converters.  

After all that is done, you need to drive rather sedately. The six trans isn't as strong as the V-8 trans. If you just cruise around it will work fine and last. Drive a bit aggressively and it will work for a while, how long depends on how hard you drive. Expect a life reduction of about 15-20% even if you rarely "get on it" though. If you drive it a bit hard life could be reduced by as much as 50%. "Get on it" a  lot and it may only last around the block.
Frank Swygert
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 9:44am
Some 6 tranny's were air cooled. V8's were coolant cooled. Check yours out.
I'm having a flash-o-matic pulled from my parts car in ND. I live in MN. My reverse band is practically shot. I have a guy who works and knows the flash's. I have a 67 Rambler Rebel w/flash-0-matic.  Otherwise I am considering  puttin a 290 V8 Borg Shift Command in it from a 290 68 model.
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 11:27am
Parts are not easy to find for them. (Hard parts) so the cores can be valuable for that.    I have a 1969 Rambler, with the M36.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic