TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Javelin Optioned Base Model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 2:43pm
I just threw out a bunch of 8-tracks earlier this year, along with a couple of under dash players. I wasn't going to use the players, so no need for the tapes. Most of them were worn out decades ago. The one in the best condition was Tubular Bells. I have that on LP. (no Bad Company in the 8-track collection)

BTW, that Javelin looks spectacular. Job well done!
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 6:58pm
Yeah, that was the problem with 8 tracks, the way the tape was routed, they wore out. I wore out 3 copies of Meatloaf's Bat out of heck album on 8 track. LOL

Thanks for the compliment. It'll be much nicer when the taillight housings, bumper and stripes go on!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 7:51pm
I've had a couple of guys ask about using wrap on the dash face. I've not done it before and after watching some YouTube videos, I was still having issues because that aluminum plate is so thin and flexible. I took it to a sign shop to see about having him do it but he was to busy, but he did give me a number of pointers and a few ideas on how to do it better. The biggest one was mounting it to a jig to hold it so I could use both hands to apply and work the wrap. My neighbor made this for me.

He suggested doing the center section first, then each of the outer sections.

This is after I got it done - after three tries of messing something up.

The biggest takeaway from this is, you need to have time and some patience to do this. I found it best to do it in the morning before I got into anything else. Definitely watch some videos before trying to do this if you haven't done it before to get the basic concept.
Some of the tips I got are,
I used a micro type butane torch instead of a heat gun so you don't heat as big an area. Since this is a small area, it worked way better and you can control the vinyl better going over the bends and in the corners.
Be sure your work area is clean and wiped down so the vinyl doesn't pick up dirt and dust.
Get a pair of "Wrap gloves". They're smooth to the touch on the vinyl and they'll help keep the heat off of your fingers. The cheap set I bought wasn't the greatest on the heat part though...
Be sure to have a sharp X-Acto knife handy to cut and trim with.
Don't be afraid to lift it back up to get air bubbles out.

I also had a hard time finding a wrap that actually looked like brushed aluminum and that the grain ran width ways. The other 3 brands I tried all looked gray and not like brushed aluminum. This is the stuff I used https://www.wrapdirect.com/brushed-silver-aluminium-vinyl-with-adt/.
I also bought this 3D silver carbon fiber as a backup, which is really cool, but it wasn't going to work in this car. https://www.wrapdirect.com/3d-carbon-fibre-vinyl-with-adt-silver/ If someone is interested in buying it, send me a pm. It came from Ireland so the shipping costs as much as the product.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2023 at 4:55pm
Thanks for the tips, Keith.  Will come in handy when it's time to do mine.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2023 at 9:08pm
I finally got the taillight housings and bumper back from the chrome shop and installed in the car. I took it for it's first test drive tonight as well and it runs and drives great until it either vapor locked or the fuel pump is taking a dump. I guess that's why we call it debugging. I'm pretty impressed on how tight it is. No rattles, creaks or moans. LOL I'll call next week to see about getting the stripes put on it.

Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2023 at 10:23pm
I really like how clean our base models are. Too bad they were only 1 year, but it does make them unique. I would like to go through mine at some point, but I will enjoy it for now, and watch other people give the cars good life through resto work. Thanks for not AMX-ing this one. I actually considered putting my 401/4 speed set-up in mine, and making it a real sleeper, but am just considering my options right now. Since it was an original 258/auto car, which is also a 1 year engine, I am torn. I have V-8 to 6 cyl crossmember mounts, and it could easily be converted back, so I am just weighing options. My 71 SST, original 304 auto car, might be a better option, just not as "sleeper" looking.
Cricket

Current look, with TT's.

Edited by Cricket - May/19/2023 at 10:30pm
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 3:04pm
It turned out the fuel pump was bad. Put another one on it and it probably has 50 miles on it now. Cars runs really well now.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Cricket Cricket wrote:

I really like how clean our base models are. Too bad they were only 1 year, but it does make them unique. I would like to go through mine at some point, but I will enjoy it for now, and watch other people give the cars good life through resto work. Thanks for not AMX-ing this one. I actually considered putting my 401/4 speed set-up in mine, and making it a real sleeper, but am just considering my options right now. Since it was an original 258/auto car, which is also a 1 year engine, I am torn. I have V-8 to 6 cyl crossmember mounts, and it could easily be converted back, so I am just weighing options. My 71 SST, original 304 auto car, might be a better option, just not as "sleeper" looking.
Cricket

Current look, with TT's.

Kevin and I was just talking about that today and how cool looking this car is. It looks good without the trim on a white car. I can't wait to see it with the stripes on it because it'll break up all the white. It's weird driving it with a flat hood because all I've known/driven is a cowl hood.

If you're redoing the SST you could de-trim it to look like a base.

Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 8:23pm
Are you going with the 71 side stripes? If I get to that point, I will be using them, red with the black center stripe. Kinda' like this one, but with the black in between instead of the body side molding. I think that would look best on my car, being quicksilver with red interior. I considered "base modeling" it, but once I realized how many holes I would need to fill, I decided to just keep it SST :-) 

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2023 at 5:13am
Yes, the same ones it had when new. Black with the red accent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic