TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Javelin Optioned Base Model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 11:45am
Nice find!  Maybe it's just that I am noticing them more because I'm now a humpster owner myself, but they seem to be growing in popularity.  Seemed to be a lot more of them at Kenosha this year than in 2014.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

The console was a stand alone option on the Base and SST Javelin, standard on Jav/AMX. Auto on the column was not available with the 401 in any Javelin, but was the std shifter on Javelin Base and SST when auto was ordered with any engine except 401.  

The Visibility Group consisted of the Convenience Group plus electric wipers and washers. The Convenience Group consisted of remote control driver outside mirror, visor vanity mirror, and clock. The clock was std on Jav/AMX.

Thanks Sonic Silver! Now I see why it has electric wipers and remote drivers mirror and that the "Shift-Command column shift" is considered the automatic transmission upgrade then.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Not sure exactly but I think the 71 base never had the console floor shift as an option as to keep it mbasic.

I think the non remote sports mirror is part of the visability group. Maybe the tinted windshield is too.

My 71 SST did not have sports mirror, tinted windshield and tinted windows options with my A/C.

Like yours it had interesting options but mine was lacking some of the better options one could have.

I think the 71 vinyl top and pin stripe was a bit much for an almost basic SST. In comparison two opposite ends of the spectrum for such cars.

I think for early builds that are to go to the dealer, the factory added some nicer options to get public interest. Since mine was late, the factory pumped out low cost basics in all models, with special orders being built. As It would explain why my car sat so long on the dealer lot. Not enough of the better and more standard options to make an easy sell. Vacuum wipers and no power steering kills the enjoyment of buying a new build for the 80s experience IMO.

It does have a drivers remote sports mirror and that is part of that group as Sonic Silver points out. I do suspect that you're correct about them pushing out more optioned cars early because I seen that in the 90's with new models when I worked at a dealer.

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 5:23pm
Positraction was available with all axle ratios and 2.87 was standard with 360- 2 barrel auto. The Light Group on Javelin consisted of trunk light, 2 courtesy lights, glove box light, parking brake warning light, headlights on warning buzzer, and low fuel warning light.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Not sure exactly but I think the 71 base never had the console floor shift as an option as to keep it mbasic.

I think the non remote sports mirror is part of the visability group. Maybe the tinted windshield is too.

My 71 SST did not have sports mirror, tinted windshield and tinted windows options with my A/C.

Like yours it had interesting options but mine was lacking some of the better options one could have.

I think the 71 vinyl top and pin stripe was a bit much for an almost basic SST. In comparison two opposite ends of the spectrum for such cars.

I think for early builds that are to go to the dealer, the factory added some nicer options to get public interest. Since mine was late, the factory pumped out low cost basics in all models, with special orders being built. As It would explain why my car sat so long on the dealer lot. Not enough of the better and more standard options to make an easy sell. Vacuum wipers and no power steering kills the enjoyment of buying a new build for the 80s experience IMO.

It does have a drivers remote sports mirror and that is part of that group as Sonic Silver points out. I do suspect that you're correct about them pushing out more optioned cars early because I seen that in the 90's with new models when I worked at a dealer.

Well, it seems some prefer early cars because of that. I too remember being at my step fathers dealership and noticing all the new for the year cars were nicely optioned. He would bring a new car home every week. Show room cars were fully loaded. The Scarab a 260z with a GM v8 327 engine and 4 speed. It even had a CB part of the package.

You got real lucky with your unique find.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 9:07pm
whoa nice car, great find!!! now get to work
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Scene One Scene One wrote:

whoa nice car, great find!!! now get to work

Thanks Buster. I need to find a good trunk pan for it first. I'm looking so that when I get the time to fix it, I'll have the parts.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2020 at 10:13pm
It's been a few years since I got this car and Wooster Kevin and I have been busy fixing this old gal up. When we got into it we discovered more damage than expected. (big surprise on these cars huh)  What we've come to figure out is that the car must of sat where water could get on it but not really get dried off. The underside is really nice so I don't think it sat on dirt and it also must of leaned to the right because there's more damage to the right side than the left. It doesn't have the typical rustbelt issues from being driven in the salt. The rockers, inside and out are perfect as well as the troughs and left, lower quarter panel. The right needs a lower repair panel but the trunk drops are beautiful. It's been pretty interesting to see how the car rusted in certain ares from water sitting on it.
What we're having to replace is the cowl panel, the section behind the rear window, the trunk pan, tail panel and the lower right quarter panel. The rest of the car is solid. Here's some pictures of our progress so far. I've been documenting this with photos so the next owner will know exactly what's been done to it. I have about 150 so far.

How do these look for a 1971 car??!! Have any doubts that it has 41k original miles on it?
Remember this is an OHIO car.

We found rot in the structure on the lower right A pillar but the left was fine.

The rear section all welded in.

I don't think I've could of done this - at least this nice of a job without Kevin. Since he's been through this and more with his car so he knows exactly how to do this job properly. Thanks a bunch Kevin!!!!

The trunk is next. More to come.......

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2020 at 5:11am
Looking at your pix... about the same time I got my 71 SST, I saw one base 71, about the same body body wise, be parted out. Even though it was a 6cyl. It could have been saved, considering you guys, and sceneone, can do amazing jobs on these bodies. Even back when I first started looking for Javelins in the mid 80's, 71 base models did not pop up, and rarely saw any thing earlier then 72 for sale. The wreckers did not even have a base 71. Of all the humpy Javelins, they are very uncommon on their own, no matter what engine is optioned. Glad to see it being saved. Only if I had another car way back on my 71 SST, I could have done the oposite... a lowly optioned SST, as a odd step sister. Ha!

It's like high contrast between the two, that they are almost two different cars at the front end and interior.

Can't wait to see how it all comes out.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 2:07pm
Hi from Spain
I see your pics and looks so easy. Nice job you has already done, and tons to came.
Keep on it!
looking forward to see how it is coming up

bye (from the confinement Smile)
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic