TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rack and pinion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rack and pinion
    Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 11:53pm
has anybody done a rack and pinion conversion on a 68-69 AMX/jav without going speed freaks or similar
looking for an inexpensive conversion
thanks
Guy
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 7:46am
Hah! There is no "inexpensive conversion". I converted my 63 Classic with a late model T-bird power rack, but it's not for the feint of heart. If you can find a Pacer you can use the steering arms from it, or make your own like I did. You still have to make a mount (not that hard) and route the steering shaft. I didn't have an issue with the steering shaft, but I'm using a 4.0L six -- more room on the driver's side than a V-8.

After all the trouble I went through to do it, I have to tell you it's not really worth it. You're just as well off to get a quick ratio steering box. Camaro boxes work -- AMC was using Saginaw steering by 66. If you are sticking with manual steering you might lose a little weight with a manual rack and pinion, but for power I'd just stick with a quick ratio box.  Rack and pinion isn't any better -- just different. I wouldn't do it again.
Frank Swygert
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 7:26pm
In my opinion rack and pinion is not better. In fact, I prefer variable ratio recirculating ball to linear rack and pinion. R&P is used in new cars because it is small, easy to package, light weight and cheaper,
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 7:51pm
Get new suspension and steering components to tighten things up, and a late jeep steering gear and make an adapter. Not as expensive as a custom rack setup but will be just as good, if not better.

There is a write up on it by CamJam, I think.

You can do it if mechanically inclined without cutting and welding to make things fit. Well only the adapter plate needs measured and drilled.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/aftermarket-quick-ratio-power-steering-boxes_topic82313.html?KW=

Edited by 304-dude - Jan/30/2018 at 7:56pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
oldguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 8:42pm
thanks for the replies
considering what you guys have to say I guess I'll take that one off the wish list
thanks
Guy

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 6:10am
6768Rogues hit the nail on the head! It's cheaper and easier to package in a NEW car designed for it. Mainly cuts cost in assembly -- rack is shipped with rod ends attached -- two bolts on brackets, tie rod end, and rag joint and it's installed. Much quicker than four bolts on steering box, rag joint, two bolts on idler arm, install drag link on idler and pitman, then tie rods on drag link and steering arms. I'm assuming the pitman would be on the box already, but maybe not... so add that.

Drag racers like manual R&P because it is simple and reduces weight a bit. When every little bit counts to squeeze just a little less time out of a run it adds up. For a street car? Not so much.

Auto companies hype anything new as "much improved", even when it's not. R&P does the same job, but it's only "better" in that it's easier to install. The real benefit for the consumer is it's a bit easier to service. McPherson struts are actually WORSE than any unequal arm suspension. No camber change, or rather limited camber change in an arc (original McPherson strut). But it is good enough for a typical street car, and easy to assemble into a compact unit that is then easy and quick to install on a car. Only the cheapest of cars use the original type McPherson strut now , most have unequal arms with a strut replacing the spring/shock assembly. Still saves a little install time by having the unit in place of two individual components to install.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic