TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FRAUD SCAMMER..Alert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2023 at 3:08pm
Scammer activity, remember look at the profile of responder.  The #1 flag is send a PM to some Gmail account because they have what you want.

Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2023 at 3:48pm
i wrote the op of the post, as i don't really understand why a guy would inform us of 
someone else being a scammer and then do the scammer a favor and list his email
and what he's selling.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Scammer activity, remember look at the profile of responder.  The #1 flag is send a PM to some Gmail account because they have what you want.

Just got one of these myself in response to one of my "wanted" ads.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

68AMXJoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68AMXJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2023 at 11:15am
Fraud Contact   asked me to contact a friend on G Mail to buy a radio I was looking for in the wanred section.

Joe
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2023 at 12:52pm
Do you have the member name?
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
68AMXJoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68AMXJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2023 at 4:10am
I blew it and deleted the message.
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2023 at 10:39am
Two weeks ago, I received a cryptic request from a well known and highly respected, long serving current AMO officer. It asked for a $300.00 electronic gift card to that he could give it to his daughter on her birthday. Also, that he wished for this transaction to be "kept under wraps" and on the "QT" (quiet). It further stated that he would reimburse me "ASAP". The message was left unsigned and just said "thanks".
WTF?!
I have only briefly met the (REAL) person twice in my life and that was several years ago. Both his and my email addresses were correct in the initial message that I received. These insidious scammers are not only highly sophisticated but they wouldn't bat an eye if they happen to ruin someone's reputation. Beware, no one is immune from these trolls. "Vigilance, Mister Worf is the price we must continually pay"-(Capt. Jean-Luc Picard).   Bruce

Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2023 at 3:53pm
I had one guy coming over to buy a part.  wanted to pay me with Zelle.  i told him,  why dont you just stop by the bank and get the cash.  he never responded back..  zelle is another way for scammers to get your money.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2023 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

I had one guy coming over to buy a part.  wanted to pay me with Zelle.  i told him,  why dont you just stop by the bank and get the cash.  he never responded back..  zelle is another way for scammers to get your money.

Yeah, unfortunately that makes it hard for those of us who do want to pay someone via Zelle or PayPal when we don't live near the seller.  I recently bought a transmission off of Craigslist.  I live in AZ and the seller was in Sacramento.  He delivered it to my daughter's house in Oakland and I paid him immediately via PayPal when he showed up at her house with the transmission.   Everything went smoothly, but I wouldn't blame the guy for initially assuming that I was probably a scammer.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2023 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

But, how is he getting your money if he’s paying you? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic