TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pump noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump noise
    Posted: Mar/23/2023 at 7:12pm
As I’ve been spending an inordinate amount of time under the hood of my car, generally the only noise that that engine makes outside of the fan is the fuel pump. But that got me thinking, how loud is a mechanical fuel pump supposed to be? I don’t recall the pump on the 196 being this loud when it was running. It’s a rebuilt unit, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it was rebuilt correctly. Sometimes it almost makes a tapping sound, located by stethoscope, while idling. I tried to take a video, but the Rush of air from the fan makes it impossible to hear. I would probably just replace it with an electric pump, however, I do have vacuum wipers, which I will certainly need at some point.

Edited by mtrosclair - Mar/23/2023 at 7:23pm
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 2:41am
It's normal for mechanical fuel pumps to make a rhythmic thunking noise. They aren't loud, but you can hear them with the hood up if you listen. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

It's normal for mechanical fuel pumps to make a rhythmic thunking noise. They aren't loud, but you can hear them with the hood up if you listen. 

That’s good, sometimes it’s sounds like internal engine noise and it gets me nervous until I get the stethoscope out. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2023 at 5:31pm
So the fuel pump noise which kept worrying me it was engine noise finally got too much to bear so I decided to do an experiment. I removed the mechanical fuel pump and temporarily installed ann electric fuel pump in its place. The cold valve noise I thought I was having was actually the fuel pump the whole time, the engine is quiet when it runs. I contacted the person that I bought the fuel pump from and they are going to send me a replacement, after I took it out I inspected it, and I observed that there was a full inch of travel in the arm before it contacts anything and even starts to push the pump, and it was very easy for the little arm to become detached from the push rod. 

1963 Rambler Classic 550
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2023 at 12:46am
I don't think that was the right fuel pump. The arm doesn't look right to me. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2023 at 8:14am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I don't think that was the right fuel pump. The arm doesn't look right to me. 

That was a concern I had because I have seen pictures of this arm and the type with the contact pad on it.  The engine did not have a fuel pump when I received it so I have nothing with which to compare the rebuilt pump. The replacement comes in today and I will see if its the same. Does anyone have a known correct fuel pump they would be willing to insect or photograph for me? Thanks
1963 Rambler Classic 550
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2023 at 6:26pm
So, update time. I received the replacement fuel pump, and it is visually identical to the one that I had before, the free movement of the arm appears to be about the same. I installed it, and it does not make the “clack clack clack” noise the previous one did, this is more of a “thunk, thunk, thunk” type pumping sound. Which I believe is correct for a fuel pump. So, I’m not sure what the issue with the original one was, but this seems to have resolved it. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2023 at 10:23am
Perhaps the diaphragm spring in the old pump is broken? As to the electric pump, I'm glad it worked where you installed it but typically it is mounted near the tank. The electric pumps push better than they pull. Regardless it all worked out and that is the only thing that matters.
'63 American Hardtop
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2023 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by wittsend wittsend wrote:

Perhaps the diaphragm spring in the old pump is broken? As to the electric pump, I'm glad it worked where you installed it but typically it is mounted near the tank. The electric pumps push better than they pull. Regardless it all worked out and that is the only thing that matters.

It was located low enough to pull but I think it was too strong as it was overpowering the float, either way like you said it worked out and the cars running pretty good. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic