TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Suggestion for quality files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion for quality files
    Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 11:27pm
ProstockTom, opions/suggestions, welcome...

The drill bit thread reminded me I need a new set of hand files. I have a bunch of the usual suspects, Nicholson, and I find that they're maybe one notch better than crap. They don't last. I know how to use them, I'm pretty skilled with filing and hand tools (I do most of my precision work this way) but always looking for better tips too.

Mostly 12", flat and half-round. I can use cheaper ones for rough-out, but I heed decent ones for moderate and especially finish work. 

Any suggestions at earth-bound mortal prices?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2021 at 1:41am
Hey Tom,

I bought these last year along with a few other members, but I see they are not currently available.

Probably sitting in a boat off the coast.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2021 at 1:53am
This is an available option  http://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Ergonomic-Handles-American-Pattern/dp/B001T49R7S/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B001T49R7S&th=1  

Half as many for more money, but wasn't really sure how many you wanted or needed.

I did look around the internet  a bit and that set I bought last year is a $100 more this year with most sellers.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2021 at 6:01am
As a 4th generation machinist and very long time machinist, I have never bought anything but a Nicholson,....I have not had to buy any in very long time, but maybe the quality has gone down......but they have always been considered the top of the line.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2021 at 11:57pm
Maybe mine are older than I think. I tend to forget when I got things (I date under-hood parts for that reason). 

I've been getting old-fashioned plain tang 12" files and re-using my old-school wooden handles. I have some shorties but I really like the long ones. Maybe my habits are limiting me, but 8" seems too short for general work.

amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2021 at 6:52am
When I was 15 I worked in a saw and drill bit sharpening shop in shipping they always were sharpening bits of all size s I used to like dipping tools in that hot plastic 
after done , it was cool but I know they were a usa company that’s about it 
but all bits / files /blades get dull ….

Edited by amx007 - Dec/07/2021 at 8:35am
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2021 at 7:24am
I'm still using the files I inherited from my grandfather, so I probably can't help you. I broke one of the smaller ones recently and it really was one of my go-to tools, might have to have a go at welding it back together.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2021 at 12:40pm
I have USA Nicholson that I bought right when they were moving production offshore.  I do have some of the imported ones, but I haven't used them yet as they're "spares" that I got a good deal on.  
If the Nicholson isn't available, Bahco makes files for Snap On, most are made in Portugal, and you can buy them from Bahco/Williams dealers online; Abolox.com is a source
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2021 at 10:49pm
I forget where I got my Nicholsons, maybe they're imports. Probably I was sloppy when I bought them. I'll see if I can research. And I'll look at Bahco, thanks.

CamaroDoc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamaroDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2023 at 9:58pm
Here's a suggestion that has served well... Check pawn shops, swap meets, garage sales, etc. for good quality older tools. Not just files...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic