TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Single or Dual Belt Compressor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2022 at 11:28am
I have the OEM aluminum mount, a similar steel mount that came with the aftermarket AC setup, and a later aluminum OEM mount that is a bit beefier than the older OEM mount. I think its off a Wagoneer.

With the two groove crank pully, one belt drives the alternator. Does the second belt drive the compressor and the power steering pump? 

The idler I have appears to not be OEM. The parts schematics show the idler as having a flat pully which I assume tensions on the outside of the belt. My idler has a V pully which would tension on the inside. 

Mike
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2022 at 11:51am
Yes, second belt drives A/C and P/S.
The flat idler pulley keeps the belt slightly toward the crank pulley. Using a V style pulley is counterproductive. The passenger side of the belt is the unloaded side ( belts pull, not push) so you're trying to keep it from flapping away from the crank as the driver side is doing the pulling
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2022 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Nardo Nardo wrote:

In addition to my roller project I have a 1969 AMX that is basically stock. Its a non-AC car although at one time it did have an aftermarket (or possibly dealer installed) AC system. It has a two sheave crank pully. One runs the alternator/water pump, and the other runs the power steering pump/water pump. 

The smog pump is long gone but it had to be in the mix somewhere. 

The crank pully appears to have an added shive, giving a total of 3. The compressor was a York with a two-sheave drive pully, but I not sure both were used. The compressor belt also had an idler and I think it was driven by the added sheave on the crank pully. 

I think I'm more confused now then when I started this string.

Is there an idler? If so, where does it mount? Anybody have a picture(s) of the belting for these early AC systems?

If the crank pulley had an extra pulley added, it was for an aftermarket A/C system...common practice 50 years ago. The Smog pump would have run off of the dual pulley power steering pump (small belt joining those two pumps).
The AMC Technical Service Manual has the belt diagram. But you should be able to Google that easily too.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2022 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

If the crank pulley had an extra pulley added, it was for an aftermarket A/C system...common practice 50 years ago. The Smog pump would have run off of the dual pulley power steering pump (small belt joining those two pumps).
The AMC Technical Service Manual has the belt diagram. But you should be able to Google that easily too.

Thanks. I searched the 67-72 Parts Catalog and a couple of other reference books I have but didn't think about the TSM which I do have. My bad... I'll check that tonight. Thanks.

My running 69 with the aftermarket AC only has a single pully on the power steering pump. I thought I pulled the smog pump when I got the car 10+ years ago, but maybe it was already gone when I bought it and the prior owner swapped out the PS pully. 
Mike
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2022 at 2:47pm
Your car would only have a smog pump if it was a manual shift car. Automatics did not have them.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2022 at 3:02pm
It is a 4 speed car.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic