TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A/C pulley diameters and compressor RPMs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C pulley diameters and compressor RPMs
    Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 12:26pm
I'm about to put A/C (kit of parts from https://nostalgicac.com, I've done this before) in my '60 American, 195.6 OHV. 

I want to keep engine load minimal/reasonable. I'll settle for less cooling if necessary, and the car is small and well insulated. 

I have to fabricate/adapt a crank pulley. I will look up recommended compressor RPM and work out pulley ratio, but any experienced feedback on this? 

And 5 piston vs 7 piston. Besides cost, which would be the best choice for a small engine setup? Physically they don't look much different and that's no issue here I don't think. Is 7 piston more volume per revolution? What's the practical difference?

I'll probably use a VintageAir evap unit, as the one I got from NostalgicAC was noisy. It will go in place of the glovebox drawer setup. Theres no room at all under the dash.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 1:12pm
When I put air in my Javelin the kit came with a 5 cylinder compressor. After it was on for a little bit, at a certain rpm range I would get this weird sound from the a/c. It was a strange sound and hard to describe so I had one of the guys from Vintage Air look at it and it turned out to be a "harmonic vibration" setup by the compressor pulsations and the fluid moving thru the system. He said it wasn't a common thing but he had heard it before. One of their Gen 4 systems had it in development stage so they switched them to 7 cylinder compressors. The 7 cylinder compressor actually has a lower volume per revolution so with more volume and more pulses per revolution there's less of a chance of that harmonic setting. Most of the OEM compressors are 7 cylinder. Since then, I only use 7 cylinder compressors and recommend them to anyone looking to add a/c. They're not more money and they're only slightly more volume.

Did you see the new under dash units Vintage Air came out with? They're the same design as the original add-ons from back in the 60's.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

... The 7 cylinder compressor actually has a lower volume per revolution so with more volume and more pulses per revolution there's less of a chance of that harmonic setting. Most of the OEM compressors are 7 cylinder. Since then, I only use 7 cylinder compressors and recommend them to anyone looking to add a/c. They're not more money and they're only slightly more volume.

OK I'm sold. Thanks! The cost diff is like 5% if at all. I'll check on size but I don't think it matters here. More bumps/rev is good. I'll probably be slightly under-driving mine for load purposes.

Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Did you see the new under dash units Vintage Air came out with? They're the same design as the original add-ons from back in the 60's.

Yes! I've got this one bookmarked

It will just barely fit, entirely on the passenger side.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic