TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mini Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2024 at 4:16pm
Turns out the Landcruiser alternator is a bit problematic, they way I have it mounted, the bottom mounting leg is at about 7 o'clock relative to the top so the mounting/adjustment strap binds on the housing and the outlet terminal knocks on the oil filter housing and oil filter, might be back to the drawing board.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2024 at 4:55pm
Plan B, I have ordered one of these, which is what I should have done in the first place.

Except I am an idiot and I accidentally ordered the serpentine belt version. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2024 at 4:31pm
While I'm waiting for a pulley to arrive:
GM 1 wire = 12 lbs
Mini Denso Alt = 7.5 lbs
Saving 4.5 lbs.

It's kind of strange that they promote these things as 1 wire since it still has all the usual alternator wiring connections. 

I think it's probably an advantage to use the normal alternator wiring, especially with a rear mounted battery, you can connect the Sense wire up front on the return side and it will be able to compensate for any voltage loss in the system, also somebody else mentioned to me that you can add a resistor inline with the sense connection and make the alternator will charge to a higher voltage level if needed.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2024 at 6:17am
So the alternator saga drags on.

Got a v-belt pulley installed on the new alternator and it ran fine for about 5 minutes before it stopped charging. Seems like maybe the regulator died. Here is where it gets confusing, the alternator is sold as 1 wire hookup, but came with a wiring diagram for the standard 4 wire hookup, which I used. Found out later that the regulator is definitely a 1 wire model, so not sure if putting the additional sense and ignition connections on might have fried the regulator.

Had the old alternator tested and it seems to be charging, however the battery goes flat after a few runs and the car wont start. Raced at the weekend and with a couple of hours between runs, it was easy enough to pop the car on the charger between runs to keep the battery topped up. But if I go to the Wednesday night meeting, there is not enough time between runs for that.

Did some testing today, which may be of interest:

Total draw ignition on, engine not running 7.3 amp
Electric water pump 5.3 amp
Cold running total draw 21.3 amp (radiator fans not running)
Electric fuel pump 10.7 amp (Bosch 044 copy)
Alternator charging 20 - 23 amp
I am seeing around 13.5 volts on the dash
Hot running total draw 36 amp (radiator fans on)
Fan 1, 7.3 amp
Fan 2, 7.3 amp
Alternator charging 36 amp
I am seeing around 12.6 volts on the dash
Measured hot running again later 37.5 amp
Alternator charging 37.0 amp

Seems like the alternator is charging, but not quite enough to keep things topped up when hot with the fans running, it's supposed to be a 120 amp alternator and is a 1 wire hookup.

Edited by WesternRed - Mar/05/2024 at 6:21am
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2024 at 12:10am
What have you now decided to use for an alternator?

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2024 at 4:33pm
Still using the old one for now, I will probably end up ordering another mini-alternator as is is almost easier than getting a new regulator for the first one.

I ended up doing a heap more testing and have come to the conclusion that my charging issues are probably due to not running a big enough cable between the alternator and the battery, so I might have to fix that first.

With the one wire alternator it is measuring voltage at the output terminal and is maintaining around 14 volts, but at full current output there is a voltage drop between there and the battery which seems to result in a net discharge of the battery. With a three wire hookup, the alternator would see the voltage at the point of use and increase output accordingly. Ideally I should change the regulator in the mini-alternator to the 3 wire type.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2024 at 6:29pm
You might also want to  think about running ground cables the same size as you positive cable and ground the block and both heads with equal size grounds. Over the years I've learned that this is more important than people believe, or give it credit to this being so important.

Tom.
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic