TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aerodynamics of the Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 6:12am
Just for fun one of my work buddies had a crack at some Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) using the Autodesk Fusion 360 software, it's a pretty crude model at this stage, but still looks cool:

Red is high pressure, blue is low pressure.

If anybody has an accurate 3D cad drawing of a Gremlin, let me know.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 4:43pm
You would think the factory rear spoiler curved down like they did with the TransAm cars would reduce drag some by sending some high pressure air into the vacuum at the rear.
My cousin used to run stock cars and although they had many class rules, they all took advantages in hopes of not getting caught and getting an edge. He would rake back the windshield 3/4" to 1" and pull side panels/fenders in were it was hard to accurately measure. Radiuses of some curves were increased and others near the bottom sharpened. Never had the software as you show, but getting an extra lap out of the tank of fuel and winning races was all the proof of concept he went by.
You see new cars like my son's Honda with the full aluminum underbelly engine pan and almost smooth bottom under the car.
The 1-1/2" air dam added to the front bottom of the motorhome added a measurable 0.4 to 0.5 MPG.
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 6:19am
I also thought that a Breedlove type spoiler which splits the air flow and sends some down into the vacuum at the back of the car might help? Similar spoilers are fitted to modern hatch backs and a front air dam to stop air going under the car will help.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 6:06pm
This popped up on my facebook feed this morning, Wally Booth's Gremlin running a front spolier:

It's the only picture I can find anywhere of a Gremlin running any sort of front aero device, so I'm thinking either it didn't work, or was not allowed under the rules. Do notice that they tended to run the cars very low at the front, which might reduce the amount of air going under the car or maybe they just ran a lot of rake on the cars to try to help with downforce at higher speeds.

I suspect the front spoiler would be against the rules, they were pretty strict on maintaining stock appearance by the looks of it.?

Edited by WesternRed - Jun/03/2023 at 6:18pm
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 6:38pm
I don't think NHRA would have ever allowed that spoiler. However a lot of Pro Stock guys match raced during the week or the off weekend when an NHRA event was not scheduled. My guess it was used during a match race where the rules weren't enforced or required. 

Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Jun/12/2023 at 9:52am
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2023 at 12:26pm
I do not have or have never claimed to have an original Pro Stock Car. 
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 8:28am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Here is a thought, the belly pan I made a little while back for Street Outlaws might make a comeback with a bit of a re-design. I have the Canton road race oil pan and a deep transmission oil pan installed, both square boxes sticking out the bottom of the car that are probably offering some wind resistance.

Just revisiting this post, under car view without the belly pan doesn't look very aerodynamic:

this is my revised belly pan:

Will hold less oil now, but is re-engineered as an aerodynamic device. I ran this at the track last time out with some interesting results, average of best 3 runs (different events):

Without  belly  pan: 60' 1.602, 330' 4.587, 660' 7.109, 1000' 9.309, 1/4 mile 11.176 @ 120.61 D/A 222'
With aero belly pan: 60' 1.616, 330' 4.603, 660' 7.123, 1000' 9.317, 1/4 mile 11.175 @ 121.56 D/A 113'

I also made some tuning changes, but mostly aimed at  improving the launch, obviously that didn't work because the car was slower every except for the 1/4 mile ET, which is basically the same, but it has picked up nearly 1 mph across the finish line. Not sure if I can put that down to the revised belly pan, but an interesting result. 

PAGAENT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGAENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 10:02am
It's always good when your "improvements" don't slow you down.
Pat Gary
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2023 at 7:00am
Aerodynamics:   Gremilin = Brick
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic