TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

From Introductions page to Drag Race page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wobblyweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2024 at 7:16pm
Hi Jeff,
I see in your Yellowbullet posts that you are using a custom oil pan by Pro Pan ? I have tried to locate them unsuccessfully. Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Rick
Jeff Lee View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2024 at 8:48am
Not sure if they are in business anymore
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2024 at 10:49am
Personally there is no way I would ever use a gear drive on a race engine due to the harmonics it causes. If you want a better setup get with Kevin Fontenot (Stickshifter) and buy one of his belt drives. Your engine will be a lot happier in the long run.

Tom

Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Jeff Lee View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2024 at 11:12pm
I would suggest you read all about it here. Not ONE could prove there is an issue with a 3-gear GD. And the PM’s I received were real eye openers. 

Also, Kevins system will not work for my class as it requires a belt driven oil pump, which is not allowed. 
The short version is the often repeated “harmonics killing parts and HP” is due to cheap 4-gear gear drives. Those that know, know the difference with a 3-gear GD. 4-gear are cheap (around $150 or less for a BBC), make a lot of cool sounding noises (due to sloppy tolerances). A Milodon 3-gear is closer to $550 and there are other brands out there that are 3-gear and even more. 
Just got my engine in the car and running 03/22/2024. Raced it 03/23 and 03/24 for break-in purposes. I can’t even hear the GD and nobody even asked. I won’t go back to a timing chain with 1000# of open spring pressures. 
Jeff Lee View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeff Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2024 at 12:21am
https://youtu.be/VpfR3kRHTrA

First Start of my new 390 SS/G engine! 
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2024 at 7:43am
Sounds great Jeff! Good luck this season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic