TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheels
    Posted: Jun/07/2023 at 2:09pm
The wheels I bought for my '73 Javelin (top photo) look like they may end up on my '72 instead.  Don't really want to put the same wheels on both cars, so I'm thinking about the wheels in the bottom photo.  Which do you prefer?  I do think I'll increase the size of the rear tire a little to fill out the wheel well a little better.

Edited by CamJam - Jun/07/2023 at 4:13pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2023 at 9:44pm
cam--i believe you're restoring your '72 to stock specs--right? if so, neither. on a stock
car, i'd rather see stock wheels.  in the same vein, if i had to make a choice, i'd use the
mustang wheels on the other car, esp. if it was non-stock.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2023 at 10:35pm
I'm taking some liberties on both cars, unlike my BBO AMX, which I kept faithful to stock with only a couple of exceptions.  The '72 has an overdrive transmission and a tan vinyl roof, though that color wasn't available in '72.  Otherwise, yes, it's pretty much stock.  If it didn't have the factory horizontal stainless trim, I would copy the stock look in this photo exactly-- which I love-- but if I remove the trim I have to patch all the holes and repaint. 

Somehow without the "C" stripe, my '72 looked a little bland, and adding wheels did transform it.  Took me awhile to get used to the new look, but I sure get a lot more comments now when I drive it.

The white '73 was more tired and needed an overhaul, so I'm rebuilding it more to my taste as I go. That said, I still get hung up sometimes on keeping certain details the way the factory did them. Just makes the rebuild seem more authentic to me.

Anyway, thanks for the input on the wheels. My current thinking is to keep these wheels on the '72 and put the Mustang wheels on the white '73.

Edited by CamJam - Jun/08/2023 at 6:04am

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2023 at 1:48am
I can't believe you would want to run a low profile tire on the bombed out cratered mess they call interstate 17. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2023 at 5:23am
  I agree that you can go taller on the rear tire.  Even though the diameter is similar with the new wheels/tires, the lower profile tires make the tires look small in those wheel wells.  A set of lowering plates in the front would add a nice touch.  
  Its a good looking car.  The wheels add to it without looking 'custom'.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2023 at 6:05am
A gold metallic "T" stripe may look sharp. I've seen one were they installed extra front fender wrap and continued from the chrome down the bottom to the front wheel:
Personal fan of nostalgic magnum 500 rims, rally's would be next.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2023 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

A gold metallic "T" stripe may look sharp. I've seen one were they installed extra front fender wrap and continued from the chrome down the bottom to the front wheel:
Personal fan of nostalgic magnum 500 rims, rally's would be next.

Thanks for that link.  Also reminded me that I need to order a new side-stripe kit for the '73, and they have them.

Would love to have the gold "C" stripe on the bronze car.  What's the best way to fill holes from the horizontal trim?  Do they weld them shut and then grind them down?  Or better done with epoxy? 

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2023 at 11:49am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I can't believe you would want to run a low profile tire on the bombed out cratered mess they call interstate 17. 

They're actually not quite as low-profile as they look.  17 inch and 50 series in the front and 45 series in the back... think I'll go 50 series all around next time.  I specifically chose a Nitto touring tire that Tire Rack and Consumer Reports tests said were quiet and rode well, relative to other tires of this type, of course.  I'm not going to say they ride nearly as nice as the 14" Michelin Defenders I had on there before, but they're not too jarring.  

I've just put a set of Ride-Tech coil-overs on the front of the '73 as part of the restoration.  It has the motor out at the moment, so I haven't been able to try them, but if they improve the ride I'm going to put them on the '72 as well.

BTW, I got a laugh out of this article that I read yesterday, where ADOT is blaming the potholes on last winter's weather.  As if we don't know that I-40 eastbound between the junction of Hwy 93 and Seligman has been bad for at least ten years, lol.  I lost two hubcaps off the front of motorhome on one trip in 2014.  Found one of them along the side of the road a few weeks later when we drove it again. 

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2023 at 1:33pm
In my experience, epoxy will never hold in a drilled hole unless it has backing. Even then it may move over time.
Welding is the permanent solution and if putting a decal over top, prep for paint matching is not required. Just mask, primer, paint and block sand so it's not visible through the decal. More cost and effort required.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic