TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area > Tool Tips and fabrication
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AMC buffs, mechanics who are also woodworkers..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC buffs, mechanics who are also woodworkers..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 12:43pm
Sawdust will also quiet down a noisy manual transmission..................................but dont blame me if it doesnt last very long.......banana peels also work for noisy rearends
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 9:23pm
been a carpenter for 32 years....have used most of the tricks already stated. Couple more, 5 gallon bucket mixed with the right amount of drain oil works great in the wood stove. or to keep the dust down when sweeping. 5 gallon bucket with that mixture works great to keep my shovels and other garden tools rust free plus they store standing up!
360 5-speed orig owner...
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2013 at 12:13am
Ha ha, I love this thread, old as it is.  I smiled reading this as I have several cardboard boxes under the workbench filled with sawdust for this exact reason.  The jointer and bandsaw make the best sawdust for oil absorbent in my opinion.  And it's easy to collect from those.  I have a canvas sack that I put onto the bandsaw vacuum output tube with a heavy rubber band to collect the sawdust.  And opening the bottom cover after a day of re-sawing reveals a bunch more.  Of course I don't spill oil on my garage floor.  My vehicles do it all by themselves. Big smile
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2013 at 9:21pm
I bought a used Cherokee from a chain smoker. Bag of cedar critter bedding from tractor supply, stuff it into my wifes old stockings. Put them under all the seats, in the back and generally anywhere they weren't in the way. In a few weeks the Jeep smelled of cedar and I had no more issues with cigarette smell. burn the chips, or use them for mulch.

I had some oriented strand board that got wet and swelled. Threw it under a Locust tree and parked the boat trailer on them. They are 3 years down and just turning into loose mulch. I do know I wouldn't put it anywhere I was growing vegetables etc.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
just rambling by View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just rambling by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 12:14pm
if I remember right be careful hoarding sawdust as it is a fire hazard, or maybe that is just what my old shop teacher in high school thought.. I just burn mine in the wood stove a little at a time.a few btu's and not a disposal problem. I do use it for oil clean up and it even burns better. is spontaneous combustion of saw dust a real concern any way ?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by just rambling by just rambling by wrote:

is spontaneous combustion of saw dust a real concern any way ?

There are a lot of "it depends" involved, but if you've ever composted before, you know that the middle of a compost pile, which is organic/biological material as well, gets REALLY warm. Almost scorching hot. Won't catch fire because it takes the moisture to compost which prevents combustion in that case but it can get hot under the right conditions.
To do so, it would require moisture and enough mass, etc.
The city of Des Moines composts lawn and yard debris and chops discarded tree parts into "chips and sawdust" for compost, etc. You'll see the piles steaming in cooler weather but they don't seem to be concerned about fires. Again, there's moisture there to get the composting process going.

I can't say for a fact but it just would seem logically that DRY sawdust if not packed into containers would not have the mass or moisture for the processes to take hold which could cause a fire.

Let's get into the fear of explosion or fire related to dust collection systems.
It ain't gonna happen. That much I can say. Experts in the field have come along and debunked all that Internet/urban legend stuff about using plastic/PVC pipe, static, dust explosions, fires, etc. and say "quit yur fretting, it ain't gonna blow up".
In fact if you buy some of the better systems you'll find they recommend using S&D PVC to plumb your shop dust collection system.
Rockler, for example, a major supplier of woodworking "stuff" including dust collection (DC) systems fittings and so on, tells how to set things up  - -  using PVC.
There's a lot of dust traveling those pipes. The bags or bins that collect the sawdust are pretty large and they don't speak of fire hazard beyond the obvious 'don't let large or metallic items into the system as if it strikes the metal impeller on cheaper systems it could cause a spark and ignite the dust in the dust collector' and 'don't keep sawdust next to equipment that could emit sparks' or around paint supplies and so on. HOWEVER, most decent systems outside of Harbor Freight are made with impellers that won't spark if a metal object such as a nail, etc. hits the impeller.
My system is a 1.5 hp 1200 CFM Steel City unit plumbed with 4" S&D PVC. I used Rockler 'PVC to dust system' adapters to connect to the various tools. I have 4" or 2.5" hose (depending on the tool size and built-in port size) to go from the adapter or blast gate at each tool to the tool itself.
I also made most of my own blast gates after deciding most of the commercial blast gates don't open enough for my likes.

My advice on any sawdust be it in bins, buckets, a DC system or whatever - keep it to a minimum as far as quantity in one pile, keep it closed in something like a metal garbage can if you keep the sawdust for using in transmissions or differentials just prior to selling the car or to soak up oil spills when you forget to use a funnel to add ATF, and if it is a collection system or a shop vac simply empty it now and then.
 Common sense will go a heck of a long ways.
Remember the old school science class bit - at least we did this - the teacher showed how he was not able to light flour no matter how hard he tried. He had a small pile of flour on the counter and it didn't burn when he tried to light it with a match.
But when he blew just a bit of flour dust into a chamber with a lit candle, the lid from the container shot up and embedded into the classroom ceiling (yeah, that left a mark and shook some of the kids pretty badly).
It's a lot like gasoline. You can't light the liquid but watch out for those fumes!

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2014 at 1:25pm
As a career firefighter, and previously a Fire Marshall (for 10 years) I can say without a doubt I would not use PVC pipe that wasn't UL listed for dust collection systems in my house/shop. NFPA codes and other Building/Fire Codes are there for a reason, because there has been fires and explosions! I have been to numerous hopper and dust collection fires through my 20 year career and the last thing I would want is combustible components. All it takes is a small pebble or the blade tip from a piece of equipment to get into the dust to start a fire. There has also been extensive testing done to prove that static electricity does in fact get generated in piping and if the concentration and size of dust particle are within the explosive range you will have an explosion. It's REALLY being watched closely here due to all the Pine Beetle lumber that has made it through the chain and now to the cabinet shops. As my City has a large cabinetry side I was involved with the Provincial Worksafe level of enforcement due to the higher hazard. The codes are also VERY specific regarding cleaning up dust. It must be swept up, take a look at the warning tag on your shop-vac, it will say do not use to vacuum combustible dust! If you use compressed air you must shut off all power to the building area, again suspended dust is very dangerous. There are usually 2 explosions in a dust explosion, the first is a small one that dislodges all the suspended dust on flat surfaces such as trusses, equipment etc which then gives you the big boom!

This is no different than people painting cars in non-approved booths or at home. It's not safe, it just hasn't been within the explosive range and had a spark...and luck.

Insurance companies are in the business of denying claims and if there was a fire or explosion that causes a large loss then if they can say it was due to a non-approved system they won't pay.

Edited by amxdreamer - Jan/27/2014 at 1:38pm
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic