TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > In The Beginning..........
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I6 Road Racing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1strlcuckoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I6 Road Racing
    Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 7:57am
Does anyone have information on the mods that were done to the 258 when it was used in the road racing team?
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by 1strlcuckoo2 1strlcuckoo2 wrote:

Does anyone have information on the mods that were done to the 258 when it was used in the road racing team?

First, and most importantly, the 258 wasn't used. The 232 was the engine of choice. The sanctioning bodies (IMSA, SCCA, others) limited displacement to ensure some competitive parity with the more common 4 cyl cars that were in the same size class, and from a performance perspective, the 232 can run at higher sustained RPM than the 258 due to the shorter crankshaft stroke.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 11:31pm
Dear Sir,

I am sorry that I have some of this info...but I do not know where I have put it.
I really think you will get some response to your request, if you put this question in the Autocross, circle track section.
I only read your post as it "just" caught my eye, as I don't usually skim through this section.
73GREMLIN401 is correct about the use of the 232 for racing. However, whatever you do the the 232, you can also do it to the 258. The 258 won't rev as high as the 232, but it has more torque, and you can gear your car to take advantage of the torque.
Good luck.

g-man
AMC only daily driver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic