TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lower Steering Shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wight4031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower Steering Shaft
    Posted: Feb/13/2022 at 9:58pm
Question, does the Lower Steering Shaft (Part # 999-714) for a 1973 C104 Jeep Commando with Power Steering supposed to have a slide joint in it?

I pulled my lower shaft today since I'm trying to find the slop in my steering, there appears to be a slide joint, but the joint is tack welded in place so what appears to be a 2-part shaft doesn't slide.  

If the shaft is supposed to slide, does anybody know where to find a replacement?  All I can find online is the lower steering coupler hardware kit that connects the lower shaft to the Saginaw power steering box.  If part number 999-714 isn't available, is there another shaft from a CJ or other Jeep vehicle that will work?  OIMX Part # 18016.02 looks close, has anybody tried it on a C104 Commando?

I might be able to grind the weld off of the existing shaft, but I want to confirm the weld isn't factory before I try.  I'd prefer to purchase a replacement instead of modifying my current.  

If part number 999-714 isn't available, is there another shaft from a CJ or other Jeep vehicle that will work?

Robert
Houston, Tx
73 Commando Bullnose Truck Cab
304V8, T176, D300
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2022 at 6:04am
i may be wrong but that is not a factory weld. the lower shaft is supposed to slide when the front end is hit in an accident. the two holes to the right of the picture are where the factory injected plastic into them to hold it in place. the lower portion does not look correct as it has a hole in it. maybe was a mix and match to get the column to fit and was from another vehicle. there is a thread on the forum on how to fix and restore the shaft so it will function in an accident. others please chime in.    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic