TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My SC/Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My SC/Rambler
    Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 9:38am
Hello everyone.I’m going to try and keep up with this thread and posting updates about the scrambler I’m currently working on building. I’ve been a member of other forums but never posted a project or anything so if I mess up posting I’ll try and fix it. Here is the car when I first found it in Flemington NJ about 6 months ago. A well known AMC guy in central Jersey has collected about 40 different AMC’s and this was hidden in the back of a lean too. 

The car is a major project as you can see. It is very rotten, far more so than I thought. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 9:41am
Here are a few from when it was loaded onto the truck to bring it home

The white car behind the scrambler is a 68 290 auto rambler I bought to cut up for parts for the scrambler. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 9:47am
Once home I began cleaning and disassembly of the SC in order to see how bad it actually is. Notice the size of the rear tires, the car is minitubbed to squeeze N50/15’s under the back of the car. 

Beginning disassembly

At some point in the cars life the 390 was removed and a 68 343 4 barrel was put in its place, before removal I hooked up a battery and jumped the starter, it’s not frozen so it’s at least a decent core. 

LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 9:51am
And now for some pictures of the carnage

So my dad and I began cutting

LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 9:54am
Disassembly of the parts car

Here I used the junk piece of frame rail to mark my cuts for the good rail

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 9:56am
Great to see this car getting saved! 

Following 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 10:00am
So at this point
 I have the front frame rail mocked and tacked into place just to see how everything lines up. 

Test fitting the sheet metal off the other car just to see how close it is. 
So you might be wondering what my plans are for the car. I don’t think it will ever be truly show worthy, it’s rotten, and I haven’t taken pictures to even show the scale of how rusty the car is. But it’s a real B scheme SC so I think it’s worth saving. And it’s going to be more of a race car than a street car. 

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 10:01am
The serial number of the car should be stamped into the engine compartment behind where the steering box mounts. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 10:07am
So here’s the 1960 390 I also bought with the two cars. 

And the intake I bought

I’ve asked around on here about pistons but ended up going with a pretty out of the box engine setup working with my machinist. We’re trimming .035 on both sides of a set of Big Block Chevy H beam rods and using a short Pontiac 455 piston to get my deck height correct. We should be partially assembling it in the next month or 2 to check clearances and figure out push rod length. Plan is to turn the engine about 7500 rpm’s with 12.5-13:1 compression and a big Lunati Solid lifter cam. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

The serial number of the car should be stamped into the engine compartment behind where the steering box mounts. 
Yes it’s there and matches the vin on the dash. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic