TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My SC/Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 10:19am
So a little on the history of this particular scrambler as I’ve figured out so far. I love the history on these cars and love tracing it back. 
The gentleman I bought the car from never titled it in his name, so using my wife’s Facebook I was able to contact the man he bought it from. Nice guy from Long Island NY, bought the car around 1990 and sold it in 2010 but had no information about who he had bought the car from. So it was a dead end at that point. Then. A lucky break. 

This had fallen down into the drivers side rear side window area at some point and when I removed the metal covers found it down inside. After a bunch of research I found a name out of Astoria Queens but the number was disconnected. Not giving up I kept looking for the name and ended up finally getting in touch with a woman who’s husband happened to be the one I was looking for. 
The gentleman named Brian bought the car in 1985 when he turned 16 from someone named Bob who owned a business in NYC called Narrow It, he minitubbed cars and this was one he did and resold. Brian confirmed my beliefs that it was originally a B scheme car and that Bob repainted the car before he bought it as an A scheme. Now for some pictures 

LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 10:25am
I’ve been trying to track down Bob Gianelli(that may be spelled wrong) who owned Narrow it in NYC back in the early 80’s, but so far haven’t been able to get very far. 

Block at the machine shop after being bored and getting set up with main studs to line hone it. 

And the blem Legend valve covers for it. I love the look of the factory chrome covers, but with the roller rockers and stud girdles I’d have to run a spacer and don’t want to risk any type of leak. I also ordered an Aviaid oil pan and some Bulltear stuff for the oil system. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 10:32am
That’s pretty much it at this point. It’s too cold right now to work in the garage, next time I’m out there I will take some more pictures and post them. The trans in the car is the original close ratio T10, which I’m sending out to Liberty gears to have faceplated and pro-shifted. I’ve talked to McLeod about a soft-lok clutch for the car since that will hopefully save me from exploding both the T10 and the AMC model 20 in the car. I have a set of NOS 4.44’s for the rear I plan to use. Even though the smarter part of me says to just swap a Dana 60 into it now since I have one and just have to have the ends cut and welded. But no one ever accused me of being too smart. 
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 10:55am
Originally posted by LetsFNgo LetsFNgo wrote:

Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

The serial number of the car should be stamped into the engine compartment behind where the steering box mounts. 
Yes it’s there and matches the vin on the dash. 
I misunderstood. I thought that part of the car was replaced with a section from the parts car. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 11:02am
Ok I understand, no luckily I was able to save that section of the frame rail. The drivers side had a couple spots I cut out and will have to weld in patches, but the shock tower and stuff is still good and under the steering box is ok but will need a few pinholes filled in. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 11:08am
Here’s a few pictures of cars I’m going to use for inspiration on my car

The New Breed car is my favorite because it’s a B scheme like my car will be. I’d like to do some psychedelic paintwork on the car somewhere because my plan is to try some Nostalgia Super Stock racing with it. Beginning of 2023 I’m going to measure and order the cage from SW race cars so it can be tied in while doing rust repair. 
calamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 11:35am
  It never ceases to amaze me what your weather does to your cars. Here in California and out west we do not have the rust problems that you deal with. I admire the work you and others do to bring these cars back to life. 
69amx
69amx bbg
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by calamx calamx wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me what your weather does to your cars. Here in California and out west we do not have the rust problems that you deal with. I admire the work you and others do to bring these cars back to life. 

Yeah the amount of rot on this car is something else. I probably bit off more than I can really chew, but it’s just metal and I’m not afraid of it. I have some pictures from my last trip to the guys yard I’ll post in another post. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 12:10pm
Here are some other cars the gentleman has since I was just over there buying some parts a couple days ago. Found a Lakewood scattershield amc-amc t10, a Mallory dual point, and a set of Hooker Super Comps that I picked up. 

Under this brush, though I don’t know why it’s sideways, are what’s left of a 69 390 4 speed Javelin

69 343 4 speed AMX with a swapped in 390, originally a brown/bronze car

The green car I believe is originally a Yellow 390 auto AMX, though the vin is missing on the dash and someone cut this car all up to build a race car. 

Green Rebel Machine 4 speed AC car, supposedly has a warranty replacement 401 in it and is missing the trans

And a very very rotten 68 290 auto(?) AMX. 
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2022 at 12:27pm
Looks like a mini Collier Motors. Not sure why people do this to cars, although at least the Rebel Machine is (sort of) out of the weather. 

With the exception of the Rebel Machine, they all appear to be pretty much parts cars at this stage. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic