TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oiling plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2023 at 8:34am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Take a look at this and go ahead and do this mod on your 199:
This will eliminate any future issues and may increase oil flow enough to reduce the cold tapping.

On the next oil change use at least a half quart of Lucas Heavy duty Oil Stabilizer. A full quart won't hurt, then use at least a half quart every change or a full quart every other change after. It's a little sticky and helps with dry starts, and "cushions" impact on things like lifters. I used it in my high-mileage 1980 GS1000 motor cycle like that. Engine and trans oil were combined in that. Total capacity was only 4 quarts including filter, so I used a half quart every other oil change. If I forgot it let me know -- the trans was noticeably noisier without it! I used to run a quart in my BW M-35 trans also. thickens ATF slightly, but one quart in 12-14 quarts total doesn't do much. Did make it shift a little firmer though. Ran it around 10 years like that, never any issues. Started using it right after it was rebuilt.

Just in random reading I had come across that article and it seems easy enough but the prospect of a broken head bolt if done incorrectly does give one a bit of anxiety. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2023 at 7:13pm
I'm getting a clatter on cold starts after the car sits more than a day which I assume is lifter leaking down.  As soon as the oil light goes out it stops, I'm not sure what could be done other than living with it.  
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2023 at 8:46am
Use the torque spec given and you won 't have a problem with the smaller diameter head bolt.

The oil light should go out as soon as the engine "catches". If you run the Lucas Oil Stabilizer it will help a little with the clatter since it thickens the oil slightly and it's sticky... kind of like chainsaw bar oil, but not THAT persistent. It leaves a bit of a film on parts so they aren't as dry at start-up.

I bit of clatter for 2-3 seconds after startup on a high mileage engine is normal. I get that even on my 2003 Tundra if it sits all weekend (park Friday afternoon, start Monday morning). It's only got 290,000 miles on it though....  Older cars like the 199 will get that clatter way before then, around to just over 100K, depending on how well it's been taken care of. Won't hurt to go up a weight in oil (run 10/40 if you're running 10/30 now), but running the Lucas will be more effective and I don't think it put the thickness up quite to 40, something in between 10/30 and 10/40. The "stickiness" helps more with it.

The lifters could be tired though. You can change lifters in the 199, but the head has to come off. If you do change them, you have to go through the cam break-in procedure as you're breaking in the new lifters to the old cam.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic