TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pacer Hood Reversal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2023 at 6:39pm
tyrodtom
As long as I have this car it will never see the track.
If I take the hood off at any time it is hardly possible that I will forget to lock the hood when I put it back on unlike being on a racetrack when the hood is on and off multiple times in a day. I mostly just drive around town for shopping and whatnot and the hood will hardly ever be taken off. But thanks for your input.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2023 at 7:33pm
Just a comment:  A Pacer good is a heavy beast.  That probably played in to why the factory designed the closure like they did.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
BOBB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 11:49am
Pacerman
I hadn't considered that. 
I used to have a 1951 Buick some years ago which opened from either side according to which knob that you pulled inside. 
If you pulled both knobs the hood could be removed completely. 
Now THAT was a heavy hood.
Even at the age of 71 and in pretty good health, I think that I could still handle a Pacer hood.
I haven't decided yet how I'm going to go.
I do like the idea of flush hood pins though.
Thanks.

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 11:55am
I got a friend who had a street car with hood pins,  no locking or safety mechanism at all.
Someone stole the pins while he was shopping, the results were not pretty.

I installed locking hood pins on my 69 American,  had locks like on a vending machine.  
I forgot one time.  But I saw that the hood was bouncing up and down, and hit the brakes hard just as the hood began to come up, so it didn't come up fully.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
BOBB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 12:12pm
The pins that I'm looking at have no real pins to remove.
They are a push button type that snap into place as soon as you put the hood back on. You can see visually when they are locked.
And, I presume, there is an audible click when they lock.
When the button is in it is unlocked and when the button is flush it is locked.
Although maybe I should also think of a secondary latch with an inside pull for safety.
But either way that I decide to go, my main objective is to get away from the backwards opening hood.
I absolutely hate it.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 2:00pm
Just unbolt the hood from the hinges when you feel the need to remove it.

That will be a lot easier than drilling thru the hood for pins, & fabricating brackets sturdy enough to retain the hood pins.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 2:23pm
If you're even halfway contemplate putting hood pins on your car and drilling holes in a hard to replace hood then maybe you'll consider this option. Do it professionally and install Dzus fastener like a real race car has. Yes, it's going to require more effort, but the end result would be fantastic looking. Myself though if I had a Pacer that was in nice condition I would just live with the factory opening arrangement.

Good Luck whatever direction you go.

Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Jun/10/2023 at 3:36pm
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

..install Duez fasteners...
Do you mean Dzus? Not a bad idea, but you would need a whack of them to hold the hood down.

I think it would be a real PITA having to lift the hood off every time you want to poke under it. That's why almost all passenger cars came with hinges - even the ones with fibre glass hoods.

Speaking of fibre glass, have you thought of using your steel hood as a mould to make a glass hood? At least it wouldn't be so heavy to lift off.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
BOBB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2023 at 9:32am
I've rejected Dzus because you could forget to lock them.
Check this one out.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flush+hood+latch+pins&crid=5H7HK3RM9KMR&sprefix=flush+hood%2Caps%2C413&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_10
BOBB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2023 at 9:34am
Scott
I wouldn't want to have to realign the hood every time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic