TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ride height and HD or Standard springs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softbuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2022 at 8:37am
New gas shocks would affect the ride height as well, maybe put a set of those on if they haven't  been done yet, then measure to see where you are at before ordering springs.
85 Eagle sedan rescue project
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2022 at 9:13am
if this is a street car, i wouldn't use gas shocks.  found them to be 
stiff and rough riding.  those used shocks that fit the sc are 
available.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
hoosieramx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2022 at 8:29am
I think you’re onto something with the jack idea. Styles change, and unless you’re going to be into concours judging, find out what looks right to you & go with it. 
Finglonger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finglonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2022 at 9:18am
I did the jack thing today.  The height that looks “right” to me (not anything other than my taste) seems to be about +1” from the front. 

My current height in front is a bit high, according to the factory numbers. It’s about 9.5” from ground to bottom of rocker in front. The back looks best at 10.25-10.5”. Interestingly, the fender height is pretty much exactly the same at this height. (27.25”, front and back)

So I’m going to go with a +2” rear spring, in HD, for the rear spring replacements. I can toss the helper springs, and get it looking good to my taste. I’ll be using Eaton Detroit springs, as that seems to be the way to go. 

Any other thing I should be minding?  The existing HW looks good. Should I replace anything? (Shackles/bolts/etc) when I do the job?
68 AMX Revival View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2022 at 2:33pm
Getting ready to order springs, so I’m resurrecting this thread to help me decide.  Current rear springs are definitely shot.  Fronts are probably ready to be replaced as well.  Measurements from floor to top of wheel well, as follows:

Driver side, Front = 25-7/8”, Rear = 24-5/8”

Passenger side: Front = 26-1/8”, Rear = 25-1/8”

Tires are stock size, and inflated to spec.  My question is, do I want stock or HD springs?  I’m ordering from American Parts Depot.  I need to decide quickly, as they already have my order, just waiting for me to confirm.  I don’t want the rear of the car to squat, compared to the front.  I’m concerned that HD front springs may make the front ride too high, giving it a rear-down stance.  Rear HD, and front standard, perhaps?  Any thoughts out there from 68/69 AMX owners who have been there?

Thanks!
John

Finglonger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finglonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 11:34am
I got my +2 HD rears from Eaton Detroit Springs, and have installed them.  the height on the back was just as i wanted, as my front was 1.5" higher than stock (i was at 27" to fender lip on front)  and i don't know why.  my suspicion was that the front had HD springs on it.  the +2 rears were perfect, giving me about +0.75" height on the back wheels, eliminating the squat.

So if you're doing HD springs in front, i'd get +2 HD rears, too.  that's what i did. Mine does look a bit tall, but i prefer that over the lowered look.

IMO: if you want a more aggressive look, get -1" HD springs in the front and factory height HD in the back, at least.  You could probably even go lower.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 4:04pm
I decided to stick with the HD front and rear springs from American Parts Depot.  I talk to the owner, Doug, who owns a 69 AMX, and he convinced me that these spring will work well.  They are the exact spring used in the Go Pac option.  I know the front may sit higher than I prefer, but the only option to lower it is to do custom springs, which I’m not ready to do.  I’m going to install the rears first, and leave my original front springs in, and see what it looks like.  I can raise the front of the body up with my floor jack, and simulate the HD springs, I guess.

John

Edited by 68 AMX Revival - Sep/08/2022 at 5:35pm
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 4:13pm
Smart move to do the rears first. You may not want to change the fronts if the stance looks good with new rears only.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by 68 AMX Revival 68 AMX Revival wrote:

I decided to stick with the HD front and rear springs from American Parts Depot.  I talk to their tech, Doug, who owns a 69 AMX, and he convinced me that these spring will work well.  They are the exact spring used in the Go Pac option.  I know the front may sit higher than I prefer, but the only option to lower it is to do custom springs, which I’m not ready to do.  I’m going to install the rears first, and leave my original front springs in, and see what it looks like.  I can raise the front of the body up with my floor jack, and simulate the HD springs, I guess.

John
Doug is the owner.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Originally posted by 68 AMX Revival 68 AMX Revival wrote:

I decided to stick with the HD front and rear springs from American Parts Depot.  I talk to their tech, Doug, who owns a 69 AMX, and he convinced me that these spring will work well.  They are the exact spring used in the Go Pac option.  I know the front may sit higher than I prefer, but the only option to lower it is to do custom springs, which I’m not ready to do.  I’m going to install the rears first, and leave my original front springs in, and see what it looks like.  I can raise the front of the body up with my floor jack, and simulate the HD springs, I guess.

John
Doug is the owner.

Oops!  My bad. I’m going to fix my post, so I look like a little less of a dumbass!  He’s a great guy to talk with, for sure. 

John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic