TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ride height and HD or Standard springs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Smart move to do the rears first. You may not want to change the fronts if the stance looks good with new rears only.

Thanks.  If I like the look, I’m hoping the old springs will be ok. Is it possible to change the upper and lower bushings without removing the spring (rookie question, I know).

John
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by 68 AMX Revival 68 AMX Revival wrote:

Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I decided to stick with the HD front and rear springs from American Parts Depot.  I talk to their tech, Doug, who owns a 69 AMX, and he convinced me that these spring will work well.  They are the exact spring used in the Go Pac option.  I know the front may sit higher than I prefer, but the only option to lower it is to do custom springs, which I’m not ready to do.  I’m going to install the rears first, and leave my original front springs in, and see what it looks like.  I can raise the front of the body up with my floor jack, and simulate the HD springs, I guess.

John
Doug is the owner.

Oops!  My bad. I’m going to fix my post, so I look like a little less of a dumbass!  He’s a great guy to talk with, for sure. 

John
You may get some blowback on that too. Not everyone likes him. I get along fine with him, but there are those who don't.
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 5:49pm

Is it possible to change the upper and lower bushings without removing the spring (rookie question, I know).

John

Lowers, yes. Uppers, no. Be aware you need to save the cupped washers from the old upper bushings. They get re used on the new bushings. If you get it apart and want to replace the trunnion bushings, be aware there is alot of old information concerning them here on the forum that is not correct and accurate. Ask questions when you get that far and you will get good answers and info.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
68 AMX Revival View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Is it possible to change the upper and lower bushings without removing the spring (rookie question, I know).

John

Lowers, yes. Uppers, no. Be aware you need to save the cupped washers from the old upper bushings. They get re used on the new bushings. If you get it apart and want to replace the trunnion bushings, be aware there is alot of old information concerning them here on the forum that is not correct and accurate. Ask questions when you get that far and you will get good answers and info.

If there’s one thing I’m good at, it’s asking questions…. LOL

John
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Finglonger Finglonger wrote:

I got my +2 HD rears from Eaton Detroit Springs, and have installed them.  the height on the back was just as i wanted, as my front was 1.5" higher than stock (i was at 27" to fender lip on front)  and i don't know why.  my suspicion was that the front had HD springs on it.  the +2 rears were perfect, giving me about +0.75" height on the back wheels, eliminating the squat.

So if you're doing HD springs in front, i'd get +2 HD rears, too.  that's what i did. Mine does look a bit tall, but i prefer that over the lowered look.

IMO: if you want a more aggressive look, get -1" HD springs in the front and factory height HD in the back, at least.  You could probably even go lower.

I'm not convinced that the coil springs we can buy today from companies like Moog are the same as what the factory installed.  They claim to be the same rate, but my experience has been that they ride stiffer and make the car sit too high in the front. Saggy, 50 year old rear leaf springs just make it worse.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2022 at 9:24pm
For what it's worth, I have a bunch of factory coils both LD and HD from the factory numbers stamped into them and the original tags. As far as factory coils went, the HD pieces are shorter with a fatter wire to maintain the same ride height
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2022 at 3:26pm
hmmm
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2022 at 10:49pm
I bought my front springs off RockAuto. They’re some Swedish brand (Lesjofords) and they sit like 3” too high. I feel like the suppliers got the wrong info for the spring specs and everyone kinda just went with it. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2022 at 12:32am
ESPO Springs and Things sells good parts, is AMC friendly and the 4 or 5 leaf sets I've bought in the last 20 have all been great. 

On my last two cars I bought rear leafs first, found it solved all problems and stopped there. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 6:40am
I bought a copy of this AM blueprint a couple of years ago. The dimensions are in metric and show the rocker is basically level (within .2 mm). Notice how the wheel opening in the front fender is taller than the opening in the quarter panel. To me, having the top of the tire showing in front, but hidden in the rear is what gives the AMX the ‘nose up’ appearance, even if the rocker panel is parallel with the ground. Or alternately, like its squatting in the rear a bit.

Mike

Edited by mbwicz - Sep/12/2022 at 6:42am
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic