TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Technically its a Kaiser Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 10:39pm
Did this jeep originally have a 3 speed with a dana 18 and even possibly the overdrive unit? I was always under the impression if you had like 4.88 or 5.38 gears with that combo, it worked really well and the option to split gears with the overdrive unit was a nice idea. I do know the 3 speeds all had relatively tall 1st gears. Was just curious, nice jeep
NorCalAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2023 at 8:29am
Originally posted by the_j the_j wrote:

Did this jeep originally have a 3 speed with a dana 18 and even possibly the overdrive unit? I was always under the impression if you had like 4.88 or 5.38 gears with that combo, it worked really well and the option to split gears with the overdrive unit was a nice idea. I do know the 3 speeds all had relatively tall 1st gears. Was just curious, nice jeep

My jeep came from the factory with a 3 speed and Dana 18.
I do allot of highway driving. The noise from the D18 transfer case drove me crazy at 70 mph. I had another transfer case built with a tapered bearing roller intermediate shaft. While that case was a bit quieter, it still had the gear driven whine at highway speed. I had an overdrive for a little while but it turned out to be poorly manufactured and problematic.
The Dana 20 transfer case with Terra Low rang gears runs silent on the highway and much cooler.
The combination of 3.15 low range transfer case and 6.32 transmission first gear counteracts the affects of the 3.31 rear axle ratio when off road. I can cruise 70 mph the highway at 2400 rpm and then drop into low range and run the Rubicon trail.

Edited by NorCalAMX - Jan/26/2023 at 8:36am
1968 AMX 390 4Speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic