TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

That Vietnam Vet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: That Vietnam Vet
    Posted: May/02/2021 at 10:37pm
Since I was A little kid ,( 1969 or so ) riding on the school bus past a 1969 Chevelle  black on black 396 , that never moved on a driveway for years and years . I began to wonder what the story on the car was. After talking to the older car guys in my neighborhood . A story familiar to many from the 60's was told , about a soldier on leave who bought it , drove it for a month , went back to Vietnam and never returned. I always drive past it when I take my hotrod out for a drive as a tribute to him. As time ( 52 years ) has pasted I've notice that the car has slowly been moved to the back of driveway almost out of sight . To my sadness .the last time I took my 73 for a ride , the house was empty, the car is gone , I would think by now his parents have pasted , house sold ,car too I guess... I'm going to miss it. May god bless his soul...There is a Vietnam Vets yellow boss 302 in my neighborhood too same story too.. Been sitting for years too . Thank both of you for your ultimate sacrifice ...
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 10:58pm
Thumbs Up  indeed, a man and memory not forgotten.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 8:42am
Thank you , indeed never forgotten..
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 11:24am
Reading your post and about the soldier who never returned from Vietnam, really struck a chord with me. A reminder of when I put my'69 Olds 4-4-2 up on blocks on my parents carport, before going to Vietnam. I asked my younger brother to start it up once every two weeks and if I didn't return the car is his.   
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 11:38am
Similar Story local to me.. the soldiers car in this story is a 68 GTO tho.
Same story. He never returned. The parents wouldnt sell it. last time i went by there, the car was gone, and the house was empty!-(
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 12:55pm
I chased a 57 Chevy Bel-Air with the same story.    Spied it sitting in a back yard in 1976 (I was 16), knocked on the door, father said he and younger son were going to restore it in his veteran son's honor.   Watched and stopped by yearly for the next 20 years, as the car slowly returned to the earth.  Last time I saw it was in the early 2000's, it was too rusty at that point to even consider restoring (sitting in northern Illinois).   Father passed about 10 years ago, younger son sent the 57 and several other cars to the crusher, then sold the house.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 6:44pm
I had bought a new '68 Javelin SST and enjoyed it for about 6 months. My draft notice was eminent being 18 and eligible to be sent off to Vietnam so I joined the NAVY to go to sea instead of the JUNGLE!
Ended up on an air craft carrier. When I left the Navy and got home my Javelin was in a garage up on blocks waiting for me to dust it off. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.     
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 7:04pm
It's so sad to think of how many didn't come home, and how some of the ones that came home were treated. Thanks to everyone that has served their country both past, current and future. 
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

It's so sad to think of how many didn't come home, and how some of the ones that came home were treated. Thanks to everyone that has served their country both past, current and future. 
Five of my high school friends didn't make it home. There were only about 900 students in the school.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic