TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The "Faster N' Louder" 1973 401 Javelin AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2023 at 10:28pm
Congratulations.  First starts are nerve racking, exciting, and relieving, all at once.  Welcome to the "tweaking" stage.
Bill O.
70 AMX
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2023 at 9:56pm

Popped into the shop for a minute earlier to see if I have some parts I need tomorrow and snapped this picture on my way out. My security light makes for some dramatic lighting lol. *Hopefully* this will be one of the last pictures of it inside for a while. 
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2023 at 4:44pm
Love the pic and great job!!
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2023 at 1:11pm

I got it home! Still have a few bugs to work out before it can drive more reliably. It was dying at stops and the trans is starting in 3rd when our in drive for some reason. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2023 at 2:15pm
I love the look!  Those wheels are perfect for it.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Thanks! 

Been doing a little carb tuning and trying to figure out what’s going on with the trans. I believe I’m having an issue with the governor on the trans, as it’s starting in 3rd gear when put in drive and doesn’t automatically downshift, either. 1st and reverse also feel like they’re slipping, so I think a band adjustment needs to be made. 

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 9:35pm
Do you have the trans shift lever properly adjusted? Should be a Torqueflite in that car, which doesn't use a modulator valve.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

Thanks! 

Been doing a little carb tuning and trying to figure out what’s going on with the trans. I believe I’m having an issue with the governor on the trans, as it’s starting in 3rd gear when put in drive and doesn’t automatically downshift, either. 1st and reverse also feel like they’re slipping, so I think a band adjustment needs to be made. 

You need to bring it out to the AMC show in Glendale on April 8th!  I'll be there with my '72 Baja Bronze beast.  Details here:

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 5:05pm

You need to bring it out to the AMC show in Glendale on April 8th!  I'll be there with my '72 Baja Bronze beast.  Details here:

I’d love to, but it’s not looking good at the moment lol
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2023 at 10:56pm
Did a lot more work on the car. Rejetted the carb, changed the vacuum secondary spring, lowered the radiator for hood clearance, replaced a fan that had bad wiring, replaced the license plate light, and messed around with the 727 some more. I made an adjustment to the kickdown cable and also did the "trick" of going over 25mph and putting in park for a very quick moment. Not sure what made the difference, but it was starting in 1st and going through the gears when put in drive.

It IS however, still slipping pretty badly in 1st and reverse. I've decided I'm not dumping any more money into getting the transmission to work properly, and have made a pretty big decision to do the T5 swap. Currently looking for a clutch/brake pedal assembly. I have a couple leads. Also got all the linkage stuff already, so most of the hard part is done already.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic