TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2023 at 7:59pm
We're staying near Grand Junction, CO right now, which is where my Javelin was sold when new. The dealer, Fuoco Motor Company, was established as a Nash dealer in 1935. It later became an AMC and Jeep dealer, and existed as a Cadillac and GMC dealer until last year when it was sold.  It is now known as Red Rock Cadillac/GMC. The owner, Jim Fuoco, son of the founder, died in 2021 at the age of 95.

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2023 at 11:54pm
very cool historical info, cam!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2023 at 10:27am
Yes, very interesting.
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2023 at 9:28pm
Back from our trip through Colorado and New Mexico and have been champing at the bit to get back to work on the car.

First issue to tackle was the dash pad.  Not sure whether the vinyl was cut too short at the factory or has just shrunk through the years from exposure to heat and sunlight, but there was a good 1/8" gap at the right side of the instrument cluster where the back and front halves of the dash pad come together.  I ground down the mounting post at that corner with a Dremel, hoping it would close the gap when the two pieces were fastened together again.  That seems to have done the trick, through if it shrinks anymore, I'll likely have to replace the pad.  This pad has a few bubbles-- barely visible unless you look from a certain angle-- but if I ever want to make this car anything more than a nice driver, I'll probably have to replace the pad anyway.

Next up was finding a replacement for the cracked shroud in the steering column.  These parts are different for tilt vs. non-tilt columns, and also for floor shift vs. column shift.  I had the AMC part number I needed from the parts catalog and found that it was also used in Jeep CJ up through 1986.  Fortunately, Jeep part numbers are often the same, just with a "J" in front of the number, and a search of the Jeep vendors turned up the part I needed for $36.

That trick doesn't always ensure 100% compatibility through, as I found when I ordered the Jeep equivalent plastic collar that fits behind the sports steering wheel, same number as the AMC part but with a "J "in front of it.  It arrived in a factory sealed Mopar bag.  The collar has indentations that match the three spokes of the steering wheel, but apparently the spokes on the Jeep steering wheel are not quite as wide as those on the cars and the indentations on the collar are smaller as well, so out came the Dremel again. 

Once the new shroud arrives (AMC parts book calls it a "jacket") I'll get the steering column disassembled, fix the broken turn signal cam and install the sports steering wheel that I bought at the last Kenosha Homecoming.

Edited by CamJam - May/21/2023 at 12:46am

BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2023 at 11:04am

The "J" prefix does not necessarily mean it is a Jeep part. I have many NOS AMC parts with the J prefix. Soon after the buy out, Mopar needed to add a digit to the AMC part numbers to get them in sync with the Mopar parts numbering system.  .............. at least that is what I have been told. YMMV.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2023 at 10:18am
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

The "J" prefix does not necessarily mean it is a Jeep part. I have many NOS AMC parts with the J prefix. Soon after the buy out, Mopar needed to add a digit to the AMC part numbers to get them in sync with the Mopar parts numbering system.  .............. at least that is what I have been told. YMMV.

Thanks for the info, Scott.  I wasn't aware of that.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 1:33pm

Took me a lot longer than it should have, but I finally got the upper section of the steering column off so that I can replace the broken plastic collar.  First time I've dealt with a locking steering column, and I learned a) that you don't have to remove the tumbler to remove the bowl (good thing, because I never did get that sucker out), and b) you have to remove the ignition switch at the base of the column to release the ignition interlock rod. 

The collar itself is made of unobtanium if you have a non-tilt column with floor shift.  Seems that everyone wants tilt columns, so that's all the aftermarket produces.  For me, the standard position of the AMC non-tilt column is right where it needs to be, so going to the trouble of installing a tilt column doesn't make much sense.  After hours of searching though, I did find a collar on E-Bay. I had to buy three pieces to get the one I needed, but the seller wasn't being greedy on the price and it all worked out.  It will probably be a week or so before I get the part, but putting it back together should be easier than taking it apart now that I understand how it all works.

The crusty seat belts are cleaning up nicely.  I still have to attach the new American Safety labels I made.  I duplicated the old labels exactly, including the part numbers and date code, which is why two of them are different from the other two, i.e. front (inner) lap belts and shoulder belts.  The outer belts spend most of their life inside a sheath, so they were in much better shape and didn't need much more than a good cleaning.

The bolts are the early style and not correct for a '73 (which used yellow anodized torx bolts), but I had these left over from my '69 AMX restoration and decided to use them since they were new and looked way better than the torx bolts that came on the car.

The ribbon I printed the labels on is made for ink jet printers.  I find the ink from my current Canon printer bleeds on this fabric more than my old HP Ink Jet did, so I have a different fabric enroute to see if I can get the labels to come out a little more crisp than they are here.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2023 at 9:47pm
Got the seatbelt labels finished after switching to Avery Printable Fabric Sheets.  They turned out really well, much less bleeding of the ink than with the ribbon fabric I used previously.  These are iron-on cotton fabric sheets that you can print on with an ink jet printer.  It would take a sharp eye to notice that they are not stitched in place, but there would be nothing to stop me from running them through a sewing machine, if I owned one.  On my '69 AMX I had a tent and awning shop sew them on for me, but I don't feel it's necessary this time provided they adhere to the belts well enough.  So far, they seem to be sticking very well.

Here's what's left of one of the original labels:

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 5:20pm
Seat tracks now all cleaned and painted.  Might seem trivial to post minor details like this but I use my project threads as a reference to myself about what work I've done and when.  I can't tell you how many times I've referred back to my old threads as a few years down the road I forget what I replaced and/or where I bought a particular part.  In any case, seat tracks were in better condition than I expected.  Just needed cleaning, greasing and repainting.

With that out of the way I put the seat belts and seats back in the car.  I'm just awaiting my steering column collar to finish that up and put the steering wheel back on.

The fellow I bought the car from said he'd bought it ten years ago, drove it home the 275 miles or so from Los Angeles and parked it.  He had about 20 other cars of various makes, so that didn't seem so far-fetched.  He said he'd had the interior reupholstered, which seemed logical at the time, but the more I looked the more I wondered how that could be true.  First of all, this 1973 car had 70-72 seats, and the door tag indicates that the original seats were white.  Ok, somebody obviously changed them out somewhere along the line.  The seats appeared in good shape, but the upholstery seemed to be not new, and so close to the factory style that it was hard to believe that they were recovered.  Could have been a set of Legendary covers from 20 years ago or so, perhaps, but while I had the seats apart this last week I realized that the vinyl and the turtle backs were originally green and have been repainted.  So, obviously the story that the seats have been reupholstered was bogus.  Rattle can upholstery, perhaps.

Interestingly, the black vinyl rear seats match perfectly but have not been repainted.  I don't know what to make of this.  Does anyone know how to interpret the seat date codes from the metal buck tag.  Mine ends in H-37WK, which seems like the 37th week of some unknown year perhaps?

Edited by CamJam - May/26/2023 at 5:24pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2023 at 9:44pm
Got the dash just about finished and test fit the 3M Di-Noc vinyl wrap overlay.  My first thought was that it needs more contrast, but Susan much prefers the carbon fiber look to the fake woodgrain of the original.  My plan had been to keep the chrome border around the edges of the original overlay, but the border was damaged on the overlay I used as a base, so if I'm to add a border it will have to be with paint or pin-stripe tape.

The 3M vinyl is amazingly forgiving.  Pretty hard to hurt it when it's cold, but it will tear once it's made soft and pliable with a heat gun.  In any case, if you mess up you can wait until it cools down to pull it back up, then reheat and lay it back down.  I managed to get away with only one small blemish where I got an air bubble in an area that was hard to redo without starting completely over.  And of course, like anything else you try for the first time, about the time you start getting good at it the job is done!

Console is back in as well, but I'm still undecided whether or not to do the carbon fiber wrap on the metal plate around the shifter too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>
  Share Topic