TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 7:46pm
Very nice car, congrats 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2022 at 10:18pm
Thanks everyone.  I picked up the car from Merced, CA yesterday... about 700 miles each way.  In a lot of ways it's very much how my '72 was when I bought it, just worn out and dirty, but basically sound with really only surface rust except for some bubbling behind one rear tire (see photo).  The rear bumper has a crease, but really only minor dents and dings otherwise.  Floors are solid too. 

The paint will need a respray, which is something I could do myself if I had a paint booth.  I'm done dealing with dust and bugs when trying to paint outside.  Getting the paint to lay down right is hard enough without that. 

Now the decision I have to make is whether I just want to make a nice driver, which is what I did with my '72, or do I want to make it REALLY nice?  The car runs, though I haven't checked compression yet, but it's dirty underneath and I'll probably need to pull the engine to clean it and the engine bay the way I would like.  Same with the rear diff and gas tank area.  It has 114k miles, so a lot of things are just worn out.  If I'm going to do all that, I'm thinking I might as well do it right.

The seats were recently reupholstered in the original style, so that's one thing I don't need to worry about. It could probably use new carpeting though.  We'll see how it looks after I take the vacuum to it.

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2022 at 8:10am
It’s always nice to clean the car up inside and out as best as you can before starting on a project. Vacuuming the carpet is a good start in the freshening process. So is cleaning the glass inside and out. Really clean glass will make a ratty beater look a lot better. You’ve got a really nice car to start with that appears well cared for. It will be a great project. Have fun.

Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2022 at 10:18pm
Got the car off the trailer today to get a closer look at everything.  It hasn't been registered since 2013.  The guy I bought it from told me that he bought it in Southern California, drove it home to where he lives in Central CA, and it's been parked ever since.  It was under a big carport.  No signs of rodent infestation, but it seems to have made a pretty good habitat for black widow spiders.  

The rust behind the rear wheels turns out to be from water getting into the trunk and running down to the gullies behind the wheel wells at each side of the trunk.  There was actually a bit of standing water in one of them today, and I'm surprised that it hasn't rusted out worse than it has.  I'm thinking the seller washed the car before my visit, which accounts for the water being in there now.  Thank goodness the car was stored out of the rain.  So, I dried that all out with compressed air today and left the trunk open today to dry out.  The rust hasn't gone all the way through the metal yet, but I won't really know how bad it is until I start sanding that area down.  I suppose some rust neutralizer needs to go down in those gullies pretty soon to at least keep it from getting worse.

I also took the 18" front wheels and tires off and temporarily replaced them with 14" 70 series tires I had left over from my '69 AMX.  The front tires were rubbing severely in turns, owing to the sagging front springs and the 1.5" spacers a P.O. had used to convert the 5x5 wheels to 5x4.5.  AT least now I can drive the car until I get new tires and wheels.  The tires on the car were 21 years old (rear tires still are) so I won't be going very far or very fast until I have new rubber all around. 

The seller told me that the car looks better in photos than it does in person, and that's absolutely true.  Under the hood is a mess, but it's all there (except the smog pump) and the car seems to run ok.  Everything works except the a/c and most of the dash lights.  Had a power steering leak that I've already fixed, and the car was overheating the first couple times I ran it, but that seems to have fixed itself.  I think the thermostat was just sticking from disuse. 

The good news is that the interior is almost as good as it looked in the photos, though there are a couple cracked pieces in the dash that are going to need to be replaced.  Hopefully I can find the pieces I need at the Kenosha swap meet this summer.

I did end up buying the NOS taillights off E-Bay that forum member kirkwood mentioned earlier (thanks Ian!) and I'm now looking for a decent rear bumper if anyone has one they want to part with.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2022 at 6:05am
Aren’t the repopped rear bumpers available ?
As for the rear quarter panel drop off areas, feel under the bottom edge where the outer quarter panel tucks under and meets the inner drop off panel. The inner panel bottom edge should have a drain opening pocket about an inch wide stamped into it close to the wheel opening. The factory filled these pockets with hard body caulk. Dig that caulk out and clean and flush out that entire drop off area.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2022 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Aren’t the repopped rear bumpers available ?
As for the rear quarter panel drop off areas, feel under the bottom edge where the outer quarter panel tucks under and meets the inner drop off panel. The inner panel bottom edge should have a drain opening pocket about an inch wide stamped into it close to the wheel opening. The factory filled these pockets with hard body caulk. Dig that caulk out and clean and flush out that entire drop off area.

Yes, repop bumpers are $595 from the AMC vendors.  I think my last one cost me $400 to rechrome, and it was straight to start with, while this one is bent, so it just might be about the same to buy a repop.  I'll probably wait until Kenosha to see if I can find a nice used one at the swap meet. 

Thanks for the info on the drain, George.  I see what you're talking about.  Why do you think they filled it with caulk?  I'm guessing they didn't want water getting in when driving in rain, but by removing the caulk you could drain the drop off area if you ever needed to. That only works if you know about it, lol. In any case, mine is dry now but I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens again.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2022 at 4:13pm
Cam, According to Larry Mitchell these drain openings were there to drain off the excess rust proofing when the cars went through the dip process. I have to assume the factory sealed off the openings afterward to prevent splash up water entry. It’s typical for these drop off areas to load up with dust and dirt which the holds moisture and causes the rust through. You may want to remove any caulk and flush out both drop offs. Stick an old straightened out coat hanger up there and “rod out” the areas to insure they’re clear of first and debris. From the photos of the quarter panels I’d say you have build up in there.
74javeloon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74javeloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2022 at 5:59pm
When I purchased my 74 Javelin in 2016 a heavy rainfall came through the first night.  I opened the trunk and the right side of trunk was wet.  Pulled the mat back and drop off was full of water. I was recovering from a back issue so had my son jack up and we pulled a huge chunk of body calk out of the drain hole.  A large amount of water came out.  I can only think the seal around rear window is no longer doing its job.
74 Javeloon
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2022 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Cam, According to Larry Mitchell these drain openings were there to drain off the excess rust proofing when the cars went through the dip process. I have to assume the factory sealed off the openings afterward to prevent splash up water entry. It’s typical for these drop off areas to load up with dust and dirt which the holds moisture and causes the rust through. You may want to remove any caulk and flush out both drop offs. Stick an old straightened out coat hanger up there and “rod out” the areas to insure they’re clear of first and debris. From the photos of the quarter panels I’d say you have build up in there.

Yes, that is what's going on.  I'm going to do exactly as you say and flush it out, then rust treat down inside there.

Put some fresh gas in today and the car seems to like it.  BTW, Harbor Freight sells a little battery operated fuel transfer pump for $12.  For that price I figured it would be a toy, but it actually works great.  Took me just a couple minutes to transfer a 5 gallon can of gas into the tank, and I didn't have to -mess with trying to get a funnel to work with our crazy under-the-bumper-and-behind-the license-plate fuel filler.

Edited by CamJam - Mar/27/2022 at 9:59pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2022 at 12:41pm
It rained here last night, and not just a little.  I figured I'd use the opportunity to see where the trunk was leaking.  Pretty quickly became evident that the water was coming in at the bottom of the rear window glass, and lifting up the stainless steel trim revealed some swiss cheese along that lip.  Since I'm out of garage space and rain was forecast, I decided to put some big beach towels in the trunk to soak up whatever water was bound to get in overnight, but then about 3 in the morning the sky opened up.  I have a spanish tile roof on my house, and we don't usually hear the rain on the roof.  When we do, we know it's a downpour, and that's what we had last night.

When I came out this morning, my towels were soaked, but the passenger side trough was still completely full of water, so I got out my drill and drilled out the factory caulking.  The water came pouring out!  I didn't manage to catch a picture of the waterfall, but here's the location of the factory drain (arrow) in case anyone is wondering.  Notice also the back widow spider egg sacs at the top of the wheel well lip!

So, mystery solved.  Now I just need to go about fixing the rust and repairing damage to the lower quarters.

I replaced the thermostat yesterday, but the temp gauge still reads high.  It's not all the way high, like it would be if the wire was shorted to ground, but almost to the "H" on the gauge.  I measured the temperature with an infrared thermometer at the thermostat housing and it was right at 180 degrees, so I think either the sensor or the gauge itself are bad.  O'Reilly's has a new sensor waiting for me (only $5) so I'll pick that up this morning.

I put about five miles on the car up a local country road that I use as my test track, and it ran fine.  In hunting down my overheating issue I did discover that the heat riser valve was frozen shut.  Fixing that didn't stop my temp gauge from reading high, but the car has noticeably more power now.  I was wondering why this 360 was slower than my 304 Javelin!  

This is only a 2-bbl car with single exhaust.  I like the reliable Autolite 2100 carburetor-- it's the same as what's on my '72-- but I plan to change that out for a 4-bbl and fit dual exhaust eventually.

The brakes are going to need some work as the rears lock up well before the front discs, but at least it stops in a straight line.

I was pleased that there were no noticeable noises or vibrations when up to highway speed, though I do have exhaust leaks at the flanges where the exhaust manifolds connect to the header pipe.  Tried to tackle that yesterday, but it's going to take lots of heat, penetrating oil and patience before the nuts will budge.

Edited by CamJam - Mar/29/2022 at 12:48pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic